Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thoughts on FP3 and PV2 for a stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Thoughts on FP3 and PV2 for a stage 1

I'm planning on ordering a tuner this weekend and am still trying to decide between the PV2 from Fuel Moto for $499 with a free mounting kit, custom map, and the Pro Billet Stage 1 AC for only $72 instead of $149 if purchased separately plus $16.99 shipping (Total $585.99). Or the FP3 from Kutter HD for $310 shipped and then ordering the AC from Fuel Moto for $149.00 + 14.99 shipping. (total $473.99). The features I see that the PV2 has over the FP3 that I would use are the ability to calibrate the Speedometer, has a 2 year warranty from Fuel Moto instead of 90 days on the FP3, and over 1,000 custom maps and support available from Fuel Moto for many different products and combinations. The FP3 now supports cam upgrades, but I'm not planning on doing cams, just thought I'd point out that capability has been added. The advantages I see with the FP3 is over $112 cost savings, it's connected to a smartphone or iPad by Bluetooth so no need to run wires, It's completely out of sight under the side cover when attached to the bike so less chance of theft. Not sure how often I'd keep the PV2 on the bike after auto tuning. Any advice on choosing between these tuners?

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 03-29-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

I've got no experience with the PV2, but the FP3 has so far been the best purchase since buying the bike. The idiot-proof simplicity and convenience cannot be overstated.

GM

Old 03-29-2015, 08:15 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
I'm planning on ordering a tuner this weekend and am still trying to decide between the PV2 from Fuel Moto for $499 with a free mounting kit, custom map, and the Pro Billet Stage 1 AC for only $72 instead of $149 if purchased separately plus $16.99 shipping (Total $585.99). Or the FP3 from Kutter HD for $310 shipped and then ordering the AC from Fuel Moto for $149.00 + 14.99 shipping. (total $473.99). The features I see that the PV2 has over the FP3 that I would use are the ability to calibrate the Speedometer, has a 2 year warranty from Fuel Moto instead of 90 days on the FP3, and over 1,000 custom maps and support available from Fuel Moto for many different products and combinations. The FP3 now supports cam upgrades, but I'm not planning on doing cams, just thought I'd point out that capability has been added. The advantages I see with the FP3 is over $112 cost savings, it's connected to a smartphone or iPad by Bluetooth so no need to run wires, It's completely out of sight under the side cover when attached to the bike so less chance of theft. Not sure how often I'd keep the PV2 on the bike after auto tuning. Any advice on choosing between these tuners?
In my opinion, you get much more with the Fuel Moto PV2. There is a cost difference, but the support from Fuel Moto and the warrantee should more than make up the difference.

You may be surprised at how many things you can monitor on the PV2. I wasn't planning on leaving mine mounted, but I found it so useful that it's mounted on one of my bikes all the time, and I miss it when I'm on the other bike.

Mine is mounted with the quick detach visor and is easily removable. It's part of the FM bundle.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I emailed V&H and asked about the ability to calibrate the speedometer. They replied back this morning and said that feature will be available with the next app release. The FP3 uses an app on android and Apple phones and tablets instead of software on the FP3 or a computer.

They also said the following was added with the February 15 App release:

Many new tables – We’ve added about 50 new tables/parameters which cover almost all aspects of operation. There are still a few tables the “other guys” show that we do not (Dynojet shows “injector gas constant” but does not explain it and says to not change it. TTS shows 2 more tables and 6 more parameters – we will add those soon. These tables are available in the app and the CSR site (previously some tables were available to the CSR but not in the app). Table names are listed below; new tables are italicized. Tables for cam adjustments are now available (intake valve opening and closing angles, Front and rear charge dilution effect). We do not have cam maps available yet, but soon. In the future we will make the camshaft adjustments much easier.

Air/Fuel:
front/rear VE, AFR,
Throttle progressivity (primary and secondary)
Throttle table switchover gear
Acceleration,
Deceleration,
F/R charge dilution,
Closed loop range,
closed loop activation temp,
closed loop deactivation temp,
Map load normalization,
intake valve opening/closing angles,
Adaptive control min temp
Spark:
F/R spark,
spark vs. engine temp, spark vs. air temp,
spark vs. head temp,
adaptive knock retard,
max knock retard,
knock control activation temp,
knock control deactivation temp,
idle spark gain,
idle spark max,
F/R closed throttle spark,
Closed throttle spark max tps.
Performance mode:
PE afr,
PE spark,
PE disable rpm,
PE enable RPM,
PE disable TPS,
PE enable TPS,
Startup/Idle:
cranking fuel,
warmup enrichment,
iac crank steps vs. temp,
iac crank to run,
iac warmup,
idle rpm.
Active exhaust
First gear
Second gear
Third gear
Fourth gear
General:
Rev limit,
injector size,
MPG adjustment,
engine displacement,
Gear ratios (first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth)
System switches:
ACR,
Jiffy stand,
active intake,
active exhaust.

So now the FP3 can handle cams, throttle body, head and other changes.

For the guys that like having the PV2 screen mounted on the dash or handle bar to monitor the motor functions, You can get a cell phone mount and use the FP3 app on your smartphone to monitor most of the same motor functions and you don't have to run and leave a cable on your bike to do it. You can download the app off the Google play store or Apple app store for free and use the demo function to see what the app can do.

The FP3 doesn't do data logging if that's something you need to do.

I don't know how many tuners have an iPad or other tablet available in there Dyno rooms to do an actual tune with the FP3, but it can now be done.

I think I'm going to order the FP3 from Kutter HD for $310 shipped and get the Pro Billet stage 1 air cleaner from Fuel Moto for $149 + 14.99 shipping. Kutter has the Arlen Ness Big Sucker with the chrome backing plate for $129 shipped and the Screamin Eagle stage 1 for $124 shipped. But I like the looks and design of Fuel Moto's better. I'm going to wait until tonight to place my order to see if anyone post something on this or other threads about the tunners today to change my mind.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:27 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my FP3 and have done a cam change. V&H has been pretty awesome to deal with. I bought a Ram X mount for when I want to put my phone out but having done it a couple of times I don't find any value right now. Nice every now and again though.

Mostly I appreciate that a tuner could tune with the FP3 if they were willing to deal with the hassle of using the iPad. Also when adjusting tables you can't currently make changes in one column or row in their entirety just individual cells. No big deal just hassle. I do believe in a professional tune and hope to visit one shortly who has said that he's be willing to take a look at the Fuelpak.

I've never been dissapointed with my purchase

Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a Power Vision. My buddy has a FP3 that I installed for him in his Street Glide. For me, the PV stays mounted on my bike and I custom configure any data/gauges that I want. That's what I bought it for otherwise I woulda got the PCV. You can do the same with the FP3 but you will still have to purchase a mount for your phone. I like that you can bluetooth to the FP3 and configure it on the fly with your mobile device. That being said, both are great units, it just depends on what fits your budget and needs.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:37 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,107 Likes on 1,340 Posts

We sell both the FP3 and Dynojet Power Vision and while many of the tables are in both products there is much more to it than the tables themselves as they are already in each calibration within the HD Delphi ECM, it is up to each manufacturer to decide which tables to expose to the end user. The biggest consideration is there are already Power Vision maps available for a wide range of cams and engine combinations that have been developed and tested, this is very different than simply offering the tables to do so. Building a map for an exhaust/intake combination is one thing, however building a map with big bore/cams is significantly different as you have changed the dynamics within the motor. There are many elements within the calibration that require significant changes just to get started, and in the end the best case is to have a powerful software platform allowing one to do so, the ability to log & review data, various tuning applications, and most importantly an understanding of the HD Delphi ECM and specifically which table, value, and multiplier does what.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-30-2015, 06:39 PM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We sell both the FP3 and Dynojet Power Vision and while many of the tables are in both products there is much more to it than the tables themselves as they are already in each calibration within the HD Delphi ECM, it is up to each manufacturer to decide which tables to expose to the end user. The biggest consideration is there are already Power Vision maps available for a wide range of cams and engine combinations that have been developed and tested, this is very different than simply offering the tables to do so. Building a map for an exhaust/intake combination is one thing, however building a map with big bore/cams is significantly different as you have changed the dynamics within the motor. There are many elements within the calibration that require significant changes just to get started, and in the end the best case is to have a powerful software platform allowing one to do so, the ability to log & review data, various tuning applications, and most importantly an understanding of the HD Delphi ECM and specifically which table, value, and multiplier does what.

So if someone was only going to do a stage 1 and not tear into the engine, which would be the best option? I would think the FP3, but I'm not a tuner. So what advice or tuner would you recommend for that scenario?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014streetglide
So if someone was only going to do a stage 1 and not tear into the engine, which would be the best option? I would think the FP3, but I'm not a tuner. So what advice or tuner would you recommend for that scenario?
For a basic Stage-1 you'd probably be good with the FP3....and save some cash.

If money is not an issue, just go with the PV. It's a stable proven platform with lots of capability and features...including it's own display. I like being able to monitor critical parameters (i.e. head temp, battery/charger voltage, fuel mileage, fuel used, gear position, and lots more).

Old 04-01-2015, 06:19 AM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
I emailed V&H and asked about the ability to calibrate the speedometer. They replied back this morning and said that feature will be available with the next app release. The FP3 uses an app on android and Apple phones and tablets instead of software on the FP3 or a computer.

They also said the following was added with the February 15 App release:

Many new tables – We’ve added about 50 new tables/parameters which cover almost all aspects of operation. There are still a few tables the “other guys” show that we do not (Dynojet shows “injector gas constant” but does not explain it and says to not change it. TTS shows 2 more tables and 6 more parameters – we will add those soon. These tables are available in the app and the CSR site (previously some tables were available to the CSR but not in the app). Table names are listed below; new tables are italicized. Tables for cam adjustments are now available (intake valve opening and closing angles, Front and rear charge dilution effect). We do not have cam maps available yet, but soon. In the future we will make the camshaft adjustments much easier.

Air/Fuel:
front/rear VE, AFR,
Throttle progressivity (primary and secondary)
Throttle table switchover gear
Acceleration,
Deceleration,
F/R charge dilution,
Closed loop range,
closed loop activation temp,
closed loop deactivation temp,
Map load normalization,
intake valve opening/closing angles,
Adaptive control min temp
Spark:
F/R spark,
spark vs. engine temp, spark vs. air temp,
spark vs. head temp,
adaptive knock retard,
max knock retard,
knock control activation temp,
knock control deactivation temp,
idle spark gain,
idle spark max,
F/R closed throttle spark,
Closed throttle spark max tps.
Performance mode:
PE afr,
PE spark,
PE disable rpm,
PE enable RPM,
PE disable TPS,
PE enable TPS,
Startup/Idle:
cranking fuel,
warmup enrichment,
iac crank steps vs. temp,
iac crank to run,
iac warmup,
idle rpm.
Active exhaust
First gear
Second gear
Third gear
Fourth gear
General:
Rev limit,
injector size,
MPG adjustment,
engine displacement,
Gear ratios (first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth)
System switches:
ACR,
Jiffy stand,
active intake,
active exhaust.

So now the FP3 can handle cams, throttle body, head and other changes.

For the guys that like having the PV2 screen mounted on the dash or handle bar to monitor the motor functions, You can get a cell phone mount and use the FP3 app on your smartphone to monitor most of the same motor functions and you don't have to run and leave a cable on your bike to do it. You can download the app off the Google play store or Apple app store for free and use the demo function to see what the app can do.

The FP3 doesn't do data logging if that's something you need to do.

I don't know how many tuners have an iPad or other tablet available in there Dyno rooms to do an actual tune with the FP3, but it can now be done.

I think I'm going to order the FP3 from Kutter HD for $310 shipped and get the Pro Billet stage 1 air cleaner from Fuel Moto for $149 + 14.99 shipping. Kutter has the Arlen Ness Big Sucker with the chrome backing plate for $129 shipped and the Screamin Eagle stage 1 for $124 shipped. But I like the looks and design of Fuel Moto's better. I'm going to wait until tonight to place my order to see if anyone post something on this or other threads about the tunners today to change my mind.
Or you could order it from here http://www.directcycleparts.com/fuel...s-p-12207.html for $299.95 free shipping. It's where I bought mine from.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on FP3 and PV2 for a stage 1