Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2003 Electra Glide EFI engine sputter, misfire, chugging

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:10 AM
storrey69
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Electra Glide EFI engine sputter, misfire, chugging

Hi all - I have been reading up on an issue I started having last year on my 2003 FLHTi, now with about 55,000 miles on it (only about 15k of that are my miles). It started on our return trip last summer on a two week ride to New Orleans and back to New York. The engine would begin to sputter and misfire. I stopped at a local HD shop in KY and changed plugs and air filter.

It seemed to run fine, but started doing it again. After a while I figured out it was doing it once my fuel dropped below half a tank. It now does it regardless of how much fuel, what speed, or gear and even will stall out at idle.

Here is what I have done so far based on research:

1. replaced in-tank fuel lines and filter...there was a pin hole in the check valve line.

2. cleaned and re-gapped spark plugs to factory specs.

3. cleaned air filter.

4. cleaned IAC valve.

5. Checked primary chain tension (it was perfect...right between 5/8 and 7/8 travel).

I also drained and put in fresh gas, changed the oil and filter (by the way, oil was a bit milky..I suspect from moisture from sitting all winter in the garage).

Everything I have read points to either the IAC or the TPS. So I just ordered both replacements this morning. Did I make a bad purchase? Could it be something else?

I do not seem to have any electrical problems and have only added an accessory power wire to run the GPS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by storrey69; 04-12-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: To correct spelling
Old 05-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Did you check the plug wires for rub through under the tank?

Old 05-03-2015, 02:26 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Two things come to mind. Check the rear injector wire. Give it a wiggle test, and see if you can replicate the problem with that. Some of teh rear injector wires were too short, and not zip tied down properly which caused an internal break.

If that doesn't work you may want to replace your fuel filter. Also check the tank liner to make sure that it is not flaking off, and stopping up the fuel flow.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Darn it - I was going to mention the injector wire and forgot to before I hit send. That was big on the 2002-2003's. Had to repair several of those. THey usually break right down at the connector - look for rubbery/thin looking insulation if you do a visual at the connector.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:27 PM
phil.ustaszewski@rogers.com
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Storry69! were you able to resolve the issue? I've come across the almost identical issue. I brought it to my local mechanic and they did a once over and they said it all looked good. I'm wondering what steps they missed. I picked up a Clymer to see what I can fiddle around with. I'm wondering what if anything worked for you? thanks bro!

Phil