Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HD download tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 587 Posts
Default HD download tuning questions

Canadian 10 ultra with k/n ac, stage one download and stock mufflers.(just bought the bike and old owner removed v & h high output before he traded her in)
Everyone says hd download doesn't change the afr but she is definitely running rich. Rough idle, stumbling, sputtering etc. dealer scanned it and said yup she is running rich. My question is ,I'm putting on mgs 4" slip ons to complete the stage one. Should this bring the afr inline to were it should be? Or should I consider upping the afr .considering a nightrider fl-vied-10. I'm not making anymore mods at this point, so a pv ,tts or pc5 seems unnecessary .
Suggestion welcome and thanks

Old 04-16-2015, 05:31 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Weeboy1
...she is definitely running rich. Rough idle, stumbling, sputtering etc. dealer scanned it and said yup she is running rich. My question is ,I'm putting on mgs 4" slip ons to complete the stage one. Should this bring the afr inline to were it should be? Or should I consider upping the afr .considering a nightrider fl-vied-10. I'm not making anymore mods at this point, so a pv ,tts or pc5 seems unnecessary...
Let's see...it's running rich, crappy, and you want to up the AFR with ied-things and make it richer???

You've got all these issues and still think a real tuning program is unnecessary?

You're in the same position that hundreds if not thousands of your fellow riders have gotten themselves into by making a combination of mods and ignoring the most important part of the entire process...a real tuning program.

A tuning program should be the very first mod one should make. Once other mods begin to make changes to the actual fueling, air, and timing, all bets are off with respect to the motor running properly without some way to adjust the ECM for those changes.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Let's see...it's running rich, crappy, and you want to up the AFR with ied-things and make it richer???

You've got all these issues and still think a real tuning program is unnecessary?

You're in the same position that hundreds if not thousands of your fellow riders have gotten themselves into by making a combination of mods and ignoring the most important part of the entire process...a real tuning program.

A tuning program should be the very first mod one should make. Once other mods begin to make changes to the actual fueling, air, and timing, all bets are off with respect to the motor running properly without some way to adjust the ECM for those changes.

Good luck!
Not talking about adding an ied yet. Right now it has stock exhaust back on it. It was running fine before with the orig. owners vandh. My question indicated I was re-installing free flowing mufflers. And with it then back to a closer configuration to how it used to be, would it be good with the hd download it already has. Which I assume is making it run rich with the stock exhaust back on it.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 AM
tv7son
Cruiser

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you would be fine adding the new mufflers to your bike since it already has the stage I download in the computer. The MGS mufflers will bring the bike hardware closer to the computer settings in the stage I download. I see MGS has two versions one louder than the other and the baffles are replaceable too.
SFS

Old 04-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the helpful info tv7 .
Im hoping the mgs brings things back in line.
Im getting the standard baffles .spoke to mike at mgs . didnt sound like they were removable/ changeable because of the way they fit the baffles in.(pressed in place)
probably if you order with the loud baffles they are fitted differently.
im good with the standard.