Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Recurring DTC U1016 2007 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:46 AM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Recurring DTC U1016 2007 Street Bob

I have a 2007 street bob and I keep getting a U1016 DTC. I also am getting spikes in my TPS circuit. I know that the code means " loss of serial data".
Does anyone have any experience fixing this? I think it is a bad electrical connection but where do I start looking.
I have already replaced the TPS and checked its connector. I have cleaned and checked the speedometer connection.
I have also checked and cleaned the ECU connector and all the sensor connectors on the Throttle body along with all the ground point I have found.

I am cleaning the connectors with CRC QD contact cleaner.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 AM
sg2007
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem on my 2011 streetglide, I would clear it and it would show up days later. Tried cleaning ECM connector and connectors to speedo. Cleaned and tighten battery terminals, and still throwing the code. I was using a Phillips head screwdriver to tighten the battery terminals, they appear and felt tight. Used a 10 mm socket and small ratchet and they were so loose, I actually tighten them up more than a half turn........haven't had that code pop up anymore!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:34 PM
tstroud
Tourer

I tightened my battery terminals with a socket too. That didn't seem to help very much.
Then I found the 12 terminal connector inside the top of the main frame tube, cleaned and lubed it yesterday. We'll see if the code comes back now.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tstroud
I have a 2007 street bob and I keep getting a U1016 DTC. I also am getting spikes in my TPS circuit. I know that the code means " loss of serial data".
Does anyone have any experience fixing this? I think it is a bad electrical connection but where do I start looking.
I have already replaced the TPS and checked its connector. I have cleaned and checked the speedometer connection.
I have also checked and cleaned the ECU connector and all the sensor connectors on the Throttle body along with all the ground point I have found.

I am cleaning the connectors with CRC QD contact cleaner.

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?
I was getting that code on my 07 Electraglide. I never found the culprit and the bike sem to run okay for quite sometime. I always suspected the gear inidcator circuit board in the dash. But then months later I starting having intermittent loss of battery voltage. Isolated to a bad voltage regulator. Replaced regulator and haven't seen that code since.

Have you had any battery charging issues?

On an 07 that VR is suspect. Many of my 07 friends have also replaced theirs with the USA made Cycle Electric, a much beefier unit.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:29 PM
sg2007
Tourer

Ok...went out and check the DTC on my bike and yup its there again. Well started looking at all connectors and grounds.And it all seem good!..that's not good thought I had this issue resolved. Well back to square one....gotta find it!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 PM
tstroud
Tourer

Mine came back too. Never had any battery issues, but I have had my PowerVision lock up a few times and moving the cable had no effect on it. Hasn't done that in a while either.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM
sg2007
Tourer

My power vision has not done that....yet!. And I hope it doesnt, started looking at my starter connections and did notice one thing. There are three wires that are enclosed in a plastic sheath, there is also a ground stud coming out from the tranny where the ground cable connects. I move those wires out of the way and notice that the threads on the stud was rubbing on the sheath and eating on one of the wires.
Followed the wires and two go to neutral switch, the other to starter solenoid. I cut a 1/4 inch of 1/4 rubber vacuum line and covered the top of the stud. On I also taped up the sheath, took it for a 20 mile ride and no code.
Not gonna say that was my fix till I ride some more......I hope!!!
Could it be that that stud was grounding out one of the neutral switch wires?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 PM
sg2007
Tourer

Ok, took a 15 mile ride to Hooters today for a brew and checked dtc's here and I'm happy to say no code. Could of that stud rubbing on the neutral wire be the problem?

Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 PM
tstroud
Tourer

I followed the diagnostic flow chart in the factory service manual and it led me to replace the ECM.
I don't have a breakout box so I had to remove the wires from the connectors and test continuity while wiggling the wires. Not as good as watching the live wires for static while the bike is running like the breakout boxes would allow.
I am not very excited about having the local dealer diagnose my bike to see if they come to the same conclusion as I did. I will need them seeing as how they will have to program the new ECM with my VIN number. Then I have to see what DynoJet will charge to get my PowerVision to work with the new ECU.
Sounds expensive to me.
Starting to think about just running open loop.
You see, to me this U1016 code leads me to believe I have bigger problems that relate to my tune degrading as the trims settle in. The front and rear VE's seem to get farther apart the more I ride, eventually getting to the point to where the bike runs very rough. That is the subject for another thread.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:35 AM
sg2007
Tourer

yea I also can tell when that code pops up,the bike starts running rough! I just clear it and it starts running good again just don't feel that's the solution Im looking for. Funny thing,the check engine light never comes on. Or at least I don't see it,it reads as a historic code on my PV. And I really don't think it would be a bad ECM,i think its a loose or broken wire somewhere.

Quick Reply: Recurring DTC U1016 2007 Street Bob