Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

98 Sportster Starter/Starter Relay/Power issue

Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 PM
TheTurd
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Sportster Starter/Starter Relay/Power issue

I know search is my friend, but I've read dozens of posts that I could find and I have not encountered anyone with my same problem. So here I am, begging you all for your help. I have a '98 1200 that has died at work the other day. The backstory is, the bike is pretty chopped up but wiring has been only mildly molested (removed turns, speedo, relocated starter button). I have deleted the kill switch and have a momentary push button mounted by the battery for ignition. The bike is still keyed which turns on the lights and opens the circuit. However, I recently replaced my starter button (as the other one broke) and I'm thinking I didn't use one with the correct amperage. Since I replaced the button, my bike has been laboring to start, often dimming the headlight very low before firing. When I went to start it yesterday, I pressed the button and the headlight went off completely. The bike lazily turned over once and then there was a pop from where the fuse panel is. All the fuses are fine and I replaced the circuit breaker yesterday just to be sure, but to no avail. I have no power when I turn the key on. No lights, no clicking of the starter...Nothing. I have checked all my connections at the battery for corrosion and to make sure they are all snug. I have 12.6V at the battery and 6V on each side of the circuit breaker. On a hunch I replaced the starter relay this morning. I turned the key on, but I got no headlight. I did however try and push the starter button and I got a spark, but the engine did not turn over. I believe I also blew the relay again. My question is, since the only piece I haven't touched is the starter, and it's the first component on the other side of the battery that the main 12V passes through...Would a bad starter cause the relay to blow? Does this sound like a starter issue? Should I have more that 6V on each side of the circuit breaker which comes directly out of the starter? Is there a way I can bypass all this and spark the starter from the battery?
  • Does this sound like a starter issue?
  • Would a bad starter cause the relay to blow?
  • Should I have more that 6V on each side of the circuit breaker which comes directly out of the starter?
  • Is there a way I can bypass all this and spark the starter from the battery?
  • Assuming the battery and connections are fine, what components of the ignition system could fail that would cause the bike to not have power when the key is turned on?

Last edited by TheTurd; 04-16-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added some questions