Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:42 PM
dzzbob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You are going to get a ton of opinions on tuners and exhaust. I thing you need to think about is how far do you want to mod your bike. There are lots of options out there power vision, tts, thundermax, power commander, or serpt seem to be the most popular. Do you want to dyno tune every time you change something or do you just want to plug it in and forget about it. Exhaust either performance or looks or you just want louder and dont really care what produces the most hp. Either way I would save some money and do it yourself. Good luck and be sure to post pics!

Old 04-25-2015, 02:23 PM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dzzbob
Welcome to the forum. You are going to get a ton of opinions on tuners and exhaust. I thing you need to think about is how far do you want to mod your bike. There are lots of options out there power vision, tts, thundermax, power commander, or serpt seem to be the most popular. Do you want to dyno tune every time you change something or do you just want to plug it in and forget about it. Exhaust either performance or looks or you just want louder and dont really care what produces the most hp. Either way I would save some money and do it yourself. Good luck and be sure to post pics!
yeah, I'm sensing that, but I like different opinions and researching them all. I'm no stranger to mods. My Vulcan 1600 Classic had very little stock left to her. I did 95% of the mods and maintenance myself. I do care about performance and not just cosmetic, especially with the pipes and tuner. I don't want so loud that I have to wear ear plugs - I'm too old for that..lol. I had the PCIII USB full range on the Vulcan and I see their new Power Vision looks interesting. I'll just have to decide on what I want.

I thought doing mods myself and not at an authorized HD service center while under warranty (especially with EFI and pipes) will void my factory warranty, at least that is what I've been told. Not true?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by striper.seeker; 04-25-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:42 PM
dzzbob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That depends on your dealer. Most will still honor a warranty. I asked the same thing because I bought a used bike and they gave me a 2 year warranty. I like the look of the power vision plus you can always get the auto tune down the road. There are so many options for tuners and exhaust you can drive yourself nuts

Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 PM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dzzbob
That depends on your dealer. Most will still honor a warranty. I asked the same thing because I bought a used bike and they gave me a 2 year warranty.
Why would it be left up to the dealer? Shouldn't it be up to HD corporate to set those rules?

Old 04-29-2015, 06:51 PM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by striper.seeker
Why would it be left up to the dealer? Shouldn't it be up to HD corporate to set those rules?
Which dealer did you use?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 PM
soonerp
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stage I

I just traded my. 2012 RK with 103. I did stage I on it and saw 80 hp and 98 ft lbs of torque. So I feel it is worth doing. I purchased a 2015 ultra limited last week. The dealer will install stage I tues the 5th. I am using Vance and Hines head pipe screaming eagle mufflers and high flow intake. Cost was 1300. But no dyno. I will have it done and was quoted 400 bucks. A little less but in the ball park. My reason was less heat (removing cat) and torque increase is nice

Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 PM
SleepyBagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has the Stage 1 on her 2014 SG. Rinharts, SE Stage 1 A/C kit and the HD Stage 1 downlaod her bike. Read my build and imgaine my bike just barley pulls away from hers.

If I knew the power that Stage I (and ride-abilty) would make I would have saved about 5k so far and kelp my extended warranty all in tact.

Thumbs up to Stage 1 103 on a 2014. 2015 should be the same (should be).

Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 AM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

FWIW, I bought my 08 RK bout three years ago, plan jan and in stock form. I got rid of the restrictive oem air filter for just a k&n filter(no stage 1 ac kit). I immediately felt it had better throttle response and was pleased. Since then I kept reading you need a tuner, reluctantly, I just recently purchased Fuel Moto's Micro Tuner. It definitely runs better, I can't tell if it runs cooler or not due to spring temps. I only have one tank of fuel on the fm, but am very pleased with how the bike performs. It's to early to tell bout fuel mileage and all that. But, at this time I'm very happy with this setup. The tune they loaded works very well with the filter and oem slip-ons. In all I have bout $250 invested in these two and am happy.

Last edited by King-a-ling; 05-11-2015 at 08:05 AM.