Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Does FP3 show HP and TQ?

Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does FP3 show HP and TQ?

I was playing around with the FP3 app in the demo version, under "New Features" for 02/02/2015 it reads

POWER "View Sensor Data can show the (approximate) power currently being generated by the engine."

TORQUE "FP3 uses the power results above to calculate and display a torque value in View Sensor Data."

So if I am reading this right the FP3 will show the HP and TQ the engine is making or estimate of the amount? If yes, how close to the dyno were the numbers. This would be an interesting test to see.

If that isn't what it means, then what does it mean?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

That's pretty much it I think. Robbyville on here, runs an FP3 and was talking about going to a tuner and playing around with the it on a dyno a while ago but we're yet to hear a report.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Yep exactly right. I've looked at my tuner and seen it read close to 105tq with wide open in 4th gear but then ran out of space and freaked out lol!

I plan to go see HarleyTuner in Fredericksburg as soon as time allows, he was willing to look at my bike and potentially tune using the fp3 to see what the unit is all about. I will report once done, guaranteed. I really hope to schedule an appointment with him within the next few weeks.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great can't wait to hear about it.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

FYI got off my *** and looks like Monday's weather will be nice so booked an appt with HarleyTuner

Old 05-01-2015, 07:53 AM
bigdawg822
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the outcome, I'm in the market now for a tuner for my fat Bob and there are way to many choices lol.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:33 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigdawg822
Looking forward to the outcome, I'm in the market now for a tuner for my fat Bob and there are way to many choices lol.
Yeah there really are. I think a lot of it comes down to where you see yourself using it, and ability to update.

Almost all the new tuners are flash based so that's nice. Both the PV and the FP3 allow you to keep the tuner mounted to the bike or remove it so long as you're not in the process of an auto tune. Both (and perhaps others), allow you to mount the display device on your bars so you can check functions (lots of functions to choose from), I bought a holder for my iphone but after one or two rides I'd much rather keep my eyes on the road lol!

Both have lots of options for canned tunes, and what appear to be good auto-tuning programs. V&H has certainly been incredible to me from a service stand point, PV has two great dealers (and I'm sure even more) that we hear about daily with Fuel Moto and DK Customs.

It certainly seems currently that PV has more adjustability, not to mention that if you want a professional tune that more people are used to working with them. But I'm obviously hopeful that the FP3 will get there. It certainly has lots of options just hard to manipulate data and not possible currently to change whole columns or rows in one swoop (I have no idea if PV or others can but assume so since they're adjusted on PC).

I don't know which I would choose if I had to do it over again frankly. The price difference of $140 certainly has an impact but not a deal breaker. I guess I like the idea of constant firmware update possibilities with the FP3 which should make it better with time. I'm not sure if the PV has that capability although again I would assume so since it's just software downloaded to the tuner. Betting on the long term with FP, knowing you're getting best in class with the PV (and one last time, all the others that are great)!

I can't wait to see how this goes on Monday. I'll update when done.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:47 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I bet you see within 5 of the 100hp mark and better than 105 tq by more than a few. Good luck , a good dyno is worth the money.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:08 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdonis
I bet you see within 5 of the 100hp mark and better than 105 tq by more than a few. Good luck , a good dyno is worth the money.
Thanks Cdonis, I'm really hoping so, have to admit I'm super excited to do this. Chad at Wide Open Cycles has a great rep and I'm hoping he can work with the FP3. Id be lying if I said I didn't care about the numbers even though I rarely take advantage of all that the engine had to offer. I'm really looking forward to understanding and seeing what a good tune is all about

Old 05-02-2015, 12:13 AM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Way ta go Robby, can't wait to hear results!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does FP3 show HP and TQ?