Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

do i need to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Danburnsart
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too was going blind reading threads, and while lots of people ask lots of great questions, and get lots of greater answers, I have my own set of questions that I have to ask in my own way. That's why I started my own thread that I can easily follow that I wont get accused of hijacking.
I'm on the other side from Gtcoder. Since my cam upgrade the bike is running great, sounds better than ever, has better throttle response than it did, just feels and sounds like it does everything better. Assuming a tune will further improve on this, it will be unbelievable when that's done.
I did the Power Vision for about 3 main reasons. Number one is simplicity. There is no messing with the stock wiring, I don't have to tear things apart to install it, all I do is plug it in, rewrite, and go. Secondly is bang-for-the-buck: from my research the PV offers the most. It appears to me to give you much more capability in what is going on with your bike. The fact that you can also use the diagnostics and data logging on and infinite number of bikes is a huge plus. And the fact that for a couple hundred bucks (less than the cost of another tuner) I can marry it to another bike. All this for little more than what most other tuners cost. And thirdly is flexibility. Many maps to choose from, the ability to be professionally tuned, the basic auto-tune function, the quick-tune function, all in a unit I can mount on the bars and take with me, or throw it in a saddle bag on a road trip.
Now grbrown makes a good point about my '05 Dyna's lack of O2 sensors, and like all tuners, without an advanced autotune setup on it the bike will still be held back in certain circumstances by the parameters of the chosen map, but no worse than a carbureted bike. I don't stop and swap out jets on my Shovel when I go from 3500 feet up to 9000 feet as is the norm where I live. The bike gets richer, slobbers and pukes a little, and I deal with it for the short term that it is.
And as I've stated I'm not concerned with wringing every last ounce of power out of it. My only concern with getting a tuner is to protect my investment. I have a fair amount of money wrapped up in this bike, love riding it and intend to ride it for a long, long time, so I want to cater to it's health and well-being. A $500 tuner is a lot cheaper than a holed piston or melted valve.
If there is a fourth reason for buying the Power Vision over other tuners, it's the people at DK Customs. I've been very impressed with the service and knowledge they've given me. With their help I feel I've made a smart, informed purchase.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:27 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtcoder
I have an 08 FXSTC, 96", SE Heavy Breather, VH Big Radius, Stage 1 download to stock ECM, Brawler one-up seat, drag bars, relocated front turn signals, 21" Reaper on the front.

I'm going blind reading all of the posts about tuners yet still don't know which is best for me. I generally want to improve low end and mid range throttle response. I want a system that can grow with me as I make future changes. I'm learning about the pros and cons of piggyback systems vs systems that reprogram the stock ecm. I want to have options, and I need to be able to put a stock or near stock tune back in when it comes time for emissions inspection. I don't want to have to take the bike to the shop every time I want to tweak or change a tune.

My goal is to increase throttle response on the low end and in the mid range, improve general driveability and acceleration. And, I know this sounds juvenile, but I don't like the "lag" when I crack the throttle at a stop light. The pipes make it plenty loud once the RPMs come up, but I'm looking for that "top fuel" like crack when I blip the throttle. Call me crazy...kids will be kids, I know. Question is can I get there with fuel and air management or do I need to get into mechanicals (cams, compression, etc.) to get that racey throttle response?
I think you're going to have to change cams (at least) to get what you're looking for. You already have stage-1 and it sounds like you want more. A good tuner like the PV will smooth things out and possibly give you a little more response, but you need to go to a better cam to get where you want to be. Start with a good bolt-in cam. It will give a significant increase in torque/power and throttle response.

I would go with a good tuner with the cams. I like the PV and it should take care of your needs now and in the future. It can manage all of your listed requirements.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Danburnsart
Novice
Default got my power vision......

....yesterday. I did some reading up on it last night. I had a few spare minutes this afternoon before I had to leave for work and got my new tune uploaded. The whole process took about 4 minutes, from popping off the side cover to popping it back on. I started the bike up, let her warm a bit, and though I only had time for a quick zip around the neighborhood, I could feel a difference. Throttle response was markedly better, and overall the engine felt a tad stronger and smoother. Happy customer.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Gtcoder
Stage IV

Thanks nhrider1 and Danburnsart I believe you have me sold on the PV. Done.

I'm also committed to upgrading to a "bolt on" cam. I'm meeting with the resident performance expert at my HD dealer this week to talk about cam choices. Based on the hundreds of other posts here it sounds like the SE255 is a safe choice, and there was an Andrews 48h and Woods 555 that were good bolt on cam choices. My goal is max torque in the RPM range where I spend most of my time, 1000 to 4000.

As always, comments welcome. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 AM
Danburnsart
Novice

I have a better feel for what nhrider1 and others have said now. I'll know more and be able to report better over the next few days of riding my bike....finally some decent weather!
My immediate impression after the tune upload was a tad rockier warm-up...the bike didn't sound as smooth and "ready to go" while it was warming up. After about a minute or so things smoothed out, the idle dropped a bit, and it sounded more normal. It did fire quicker than it ever has.
Wicking the throttle displayed the new tune right away; it revved quicker, more freely, and with less vibration than before. In fact there is less vibration everywhere. Initial riding response is better, smoother. It's weird; it almost feels less powerful, but I think its because its so much smoother. The powerband feels like my Shovelhead, just more powerful. It doesn't really feel like its pulling harder, but like its pulling more quickly, if that makes sense. I'll report back later after a few miles.
Not to plug a vendor, but if you do go with the PV, I can highly recommend DK Customs. They are in the vendor list, and were an utter joy to work with. Tell 'em I sent ya

Old 05-20-2015, 12:42 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtcoder
Thanks nhrider1 and Danburnsart I believe you have me sold on the PV. Done.

I'm also committed to upgrading to a "bolt on" cam. I'm meeting with the resident performance expert at my HD dealer this week to talk about cam choices. Based on the hundreds of other posts here it sounds like the SE255 is a safe choice, and there was an Andrews 48h and Woods 555 that were good bolt on cam choices. My goal is max torque in the RPM range where I spend most of my time, 1000 to 4000.

As always, comments welcome. Thanks for the help.
The dealer will probably steer you toward the S/E 255. It would not be my choice...you'll be leaving something on the table compared to the other two choices.

I have Andrews 48's in my 96 and I'm very happy with them. Big boost in torque and horsepower especially in the 1K-4K range. The 555 should produce very similar results. I think you'll be happy with either of these two cams.