Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel pump continues to prime

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Electrotech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump continues to prime

I installed a new exhaust on my bike today and when I went to turn it on and see how it sounds and check for leaks the fuel pump came on to prime and continues to run, doesn't stop. I went ahead and cranked it and it kicked over but backfired and shot smoke out the air cleaner.

Any ideas as to why an exhaust would have any affect on this? I didn't disconnect anything fuel related.

I let it sit for a minute and went ahead and started it and it starts and runs fine, the fuel pump just continues to run still before I hit the start switch.

Last edited by Electrotech; 05-17-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Electrotech
Intermediate

Nobody had this issue before?

Is the correct forum or should I post in the Touring model forum?

I have a PCV but I don't see how that could be the issue. I'm going to try and reset the system by disconnecting the battery for a while and see if that helps. Probably not but worth a shot.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Unplug the PCV and see if it does it.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Unplug the PCV and see if it does it.
YEs - just bypass the PCV and hook the harness back to the ECM. That will verify the ECM/Harness and the PCV at the same time.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leaking hose inside the tank. Open the fuel cap and if the tank is not full to the brim you may see the fuel spraying from the pressure side or the system. A common problem if that's what it is.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
Leaking hose inside the tank. Open the fuel cap and if the tank is not full to the brim you may see the fuel spraying from the pressure side or the system. A common problem if that's what it is.
That will not cause the pump to run for a minute like he says. After key off when the system goes to sleep, pump and ignition power are cut until the ECM sees a crank signal.

It could be a stuck closed relay. Need to see what happens after he bypasses the Powercommander first.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
That will not cause the pump to run for a minute like he says. After key off when the system goes to sleep, pump and ignition power are cut until the ECM sees a crank signal.

It could be a stuck closed relay. Need to see what happens after he bypasses the Powercommander first.
He didn't say it ran for a minute, he said he let it sit for a minute.

You should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds until the fuel system is pressurized. (around 60psi) when you turn the ignition on. But, it should then stop.

My fuel pump didn't run continuously but it did cycle on/off as pressure built and leaked, built and leaked. I could hear the hissing inside the tank when it was pressurizing. I replaced the fuel line inside the tank. Problem fixed.

Last edited by Deucedog; 05-18-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deucedog
Mine had the same issue, I replaced the fuel line inside the tank, problem fixed While my pump didn't run for a minute it did cycle on/off as pressure built and leaked, built and leaked. I could hear the hissing inside the tank when it was pressurizing.
Hi Deuce, The fuel pump will not run or cycle for a full minute after key off if there is a leak because it shouldn't have any power. He says the pump is running long after the relay shuts down - that is an electrical problem.

If he hears a hissing and it is fuel pressure escaping through the hose, you have earned a chicken dinner.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Electrotech
Intermediate

Didn't get a chance to disconnect the PCV yet. I installed my new stereo last night and ran out of time. I rode it in to work today and everything runs just fine.

Does anybody think I am hurting anything riding it like this?

On another note I can hear a relay click after a few seconds the fuel pump primes, but it just continues to prime anyways. Once I hit the starter the priming noise goes away (or at least is trumped by the engine noise)

After the kill switch is flipped the fuel pump shuts off.

I'm almost on an empty tank also, I'm going to fill up after work before riding home and see if that has any affect also.

Also, I deleted my O2 sensors with the PCV and new exhaust so will unhooking the PCV cause any issues not having the O2 sensors?

Last edited by Electrotech; 05-19-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Electrotech
Intermediate

Ok so just cause it was the only test I could do while it's sitting here at work I went ahead and pulled the gas cap and turned the bike on and sure enough I can see and hear fuel being squirted around inside the tank.

I'm assuming this is what Scaredofrain was talking about and I have a fuel line bad inside the tank.

How bad is this and how hard is it to fix?

Edit: After reading some more I'm not sure if there is a leaking line or it's the pressure regulator blowing off the excess fuel because the fuel pump continues to run without the bike running.

Called and talked to a tech at the local stealership, described the problem and he said yeah common problem with my bike he's fixed a few pin holes in the fuel line inside the tank from rubbing on the tank. I asked how much they would charge to fix and he couldn't say, had the manager call me back.

Manager calls me and I describe the problem again and he says no way, the problem got to be electrical. The pressure regulator is purely a mechanical part and has nothing to do with shutting off the pump, if the pump continues to run with the bike off it is either the relay or the ECM.

I went ahead and swapped the fuel pump relay with the starter relay since they are the same and the issue still remains. I'm going to disconnect the PCV tonight and hope that fixes it.

Last edited by Electrotech; 05-19-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump continues to prime