Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Got the SEPST dialed in on my Fat Boy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:38 AM
sleepyone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got the SEPST dialed in on my Fat Boy!

A little history first. I live in TX and last September bought an '07 Fat Boy with 103 Big Bore kit, 255 cams, SE Heavy Breather and V&H Big Radius 2 in 2, but she only had a stage 1 download. I had installed a PCV in February. She ran great, but I removed it because I wanted to go with a flash tuner that did not stay on the bike, and I needed the room under for a new solo seat I had bought. I bought the SEPST from my local HD dealer and flashed it with a canned map that was close to my bike's setup. She ran horrible. Called the dealer and the tech told me to use a different map. She ran worse. I was really frustrated and put out an SOS on this forum.

Many thanks to fellow forum member, Ed Ramberger who lives in Wisconsin but helped me out over a three day period and got my SEPST dialed in tight. My bike is running the best it ever has. No pop, runs cooler, stronger, sounds awesome. Seems to be getting better mileage, but have not crunched the numbers yet. I can cruise at any speed in any gear with no sputter, cut-out or pop.

The Tuner itself is great, but Ed's expertise with the product made it all come together. The tuner's ability to record data while riding and then download that data into the Pro Tuner s/w to merge with your existing tune really allows you to tune your bike like a dyno would without the added expense. It takes more time to do it this way, but it is worth the effort. Of course you need someone who knows how to tune bikes and also knows the software inside and out, which is where Ed's knowledge was invaluable. I could not have done it without him; or it might have taken me a long, long time to figure it out! I was able to send my recordings to him and he analyzed the data and made the necessary tweaks and then updated my existing tune and sent it back to me. We did this three times.

I'm going to ride her for a couple of hundred miles, let the ECM do it's own learning and then do another recording to see if she needs any final tweaking.

The following users liked this post:
Ed Ramberger (07-04-2018)
Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,246 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Great report! Thanks for the update.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would be interested to know what kind of HP and TQ you have after the mods. I have a guy by me who, for 60.00 will put the bike on the dyno and make up to 6 pulls to find out max HP and TQ. I have a 14 Fat Bob with V&H 3" slip-ons and a DK Customs 587 AC. Bike is making 74 hp and 94 ftlbs tq. Just last week I installed a V&H FP3. I will be taking the bike back up to see if the numbers have changed any.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Thank you for the compliments. I'm glad you're enjoying your bike!