Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2009 Superglide Custom Intermittent Vibration and getting worse!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 PM
thegary
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Superglide Custom Intermittent Vibration and getting worse!

Hello Everyone,

I have a issue with my 2009 FXDC vibrating with pinging and poor performance intermittently.
I will run through how this started and everything I have tried WITHOUT success to fix this issue.

One day while riding home form the lake, i will feel a vibration come through the foot pegs. I would describe it as a driving on a rough road feeling. Not on a rough road though. Then it would go away. Over the next few month this vibration would come and go and get worse, and now is there 75% of the time but not always. Seems to change with riding style as well. So here is what i have tried to do to rectify this.

Adjust neck bearings
Replaced front and rear engine mounts, tightened top engine mount.
Replaced inner primary bearing
Replaced compensator for SE Compensator II
Replaced auto tensionor for SE manual tensioner
Replaced Clutch hub bearings
Replaced Engine Temp sensor
Replaced Crank Angle Sensor
Replaced Spark Plug Wires
Replaced Spark Plugs
Replaced Battery
Replaced Handle bar rubber mounts
Cleaned out intake with seafoam and Idle control valve
Sold V&H Fuel Pak and bought Powervision and new maps from Fuel Moto
Tried Higher octane fuel
Wheel bearings are good and bike tracks straight.
Gone from front to back of bike and tighten everything.
Checked frame for cracks.
no DTC codes

I don't know what to do next. The vibration is worse than ever through the pegs and up to handle bars now. At high speeds when accelerating, it pings quite bad when hot, but not so much when cooler. Vibration seems less at higher RPMS if its there. But can change quickly. Somedays she rides like a new bike , other days with the problems i describe and it can even change while riding.

The bike starts perfect. Run Amsoil in Engine and Trans, and Formula + in Primary. Has new tires. I have 50,000KM on the bike now, but this started about 8,000 ago. Harley dealership is quite useless and just try to sell me a new bike.

Question? Could it be a hole in the fuel lines in tank? Can this change air/fuel ratios causing the bike to run rough? I feel as though this is a fuel injection issue as it seems to change, with temperature , riding style.

Any help would be most appreciated. I am at a loss and about ready to dump this . Its turning into quite the money pit. But love the bike and the way i have her looking. Would be a shame to start over.

Thank you
Gary

Last edited by thegary; 05-22-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Have you checked your tires for roundness and balance?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:00 PM
thegary
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
Have you checked your tires for roundness and balance?
The tires are new and have been balanced. This problem started before i put the new tires on also.

Gary

Old 05-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Could be too agressive timing, You have a Power Vision? Learn how to use it to log data and see where and when your pinging/knock is happening. And reduce it some. Or send a copy of your tune and logs to FM. Have you run any autotunes? You should.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 PM
thegary
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Could be too agressive timing, You have a Power Vision? Learn how to use it to log data and see where and when your pinging/knock is happening. And reduce it some. Or send a copy of your tune and logs to FM. Have you run any autotunes? You should.
My problem with doing this is the issue started when I had the fuel pak. I understand the Powervision can do a lot more to correct issues with timing. But it would be hiding a problem i need to reslove first. Fuel Moto is brilliant and would help, but they even suggested finding the issue before masking it with a software fix.

Gary

Old 05-23-2015, 12:41 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 622 Posts

Hi Gary,

Are you certain the vibration is tied to the poor performance? Many Dyna vibrations are caused by a hard contact (bypassing the rubber mounting) or an alignment issue.

Is there any possibility something has fallen between the frame and the engine, or anything is under the transmission and touching the transmission pan and the frame.

Is the crossmember bent up? That will hit the power train as well and will often come and go depending on how the bike is being ridden.

Another spot to look is along the inner primary to the frame.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:12 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by thegary
Hello Everyone,

I have a issue with my 2009 FXDC vibrating with pinging and poor performance intermittently.
I will run through how this started and everything I have tried WITHOUT success to fix this issue.

One day while riding home form the lake, i will feel a vibration come through the foot pegs. I would describe it as a driving on a rough road feeling. Not on a rough road though. Then it would go away. Over the next few month this vibration would come and go and get worse, and now is there 75% of the time but not always. Seems to change with riding style as well. So here is what i have tried to do to rectify this.

Adjust neck bearings
Replaced front and rear engine mounts, tightened top engine mount.
Replaced inner primary bearing
Replaced compensator for SE Compensator II
Replaced auto tensionor for SE manual tensioner
Replaced Clutch hub bearings
Replaced Engine Temp sensor
Replaced Crank Angle Sensor
Replaced Spark Plug Wires
Replaced Spark Plugs
Replaced Battery
Replaced Handle bar rubber mounts
Cleaned out intake with seafoam and Idle control valve
Sold V&H Fuel Pak and bought Powervision and new maps from Fuel Moto
Tried Higher octane fuel
Wheel bearings are good and bike tracks straight.
Gone from front to back of bike and tighten everything.
Checked frame for cracks.
no DTC codes

I don't know what to do next. The vibration is worse than ever through the pegs and up to handle bars now. At high speeds when accelerating, it pings quite bad when hot, but not so much when cooler. Vibration seems less at higher RPMS if its there. But can change quickly. Somedays she rides like a new bike , other days with the problems i describe and it can even change while riding.

The bike starts perfect. Run Amsoil in Engine and Trans, and Formula + in Primary. Has new tires. I have 50,000KM on the bike now, but this started about 8,000 ago. Harley dealership is quite useless and just try to sell me a new bike.

Question? Could it be a hole in the fuel lines in tank? Can this change air/fuel ratios causing the bike to run rough? I feel as though this is a fuel injection issue as it seems to change, with temperature , riding style.

Any help would be most appreciated. I am at a loss and about ready to dump this . Its turning into quite the money pit. But love the bike and the way i have her looking. Would be a shame to start over.

Thank you
Gary
Lots of vibrations on rubber mounted engines involve loose or misaligned exhaust. About 90% of the time something is wrong with the exhaust. Loose heat shield, bad clamp, hitting the frame, etc.
Have you gone over the exhaust system?

Is it stock or aftermarket?

Old 05-23-2015, 05:19 PM
thegary
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Hi Gary,

Are you certain the vibration is tied to the poor performance? Many Dyna vibrations are caused by a hard contact (bypassing the rubber mounting) or an alignment issue.

Is there any possibility something has fallen between the frame and the engine, or anything is under the transmission and touching the transmission pan and the frame.

Is the crossmember bent up? That will hit the power train as well and will often come and go depending on how the bike is being ridden.

Another spot to look is along the inner primary to the frame.
Inner primary was rebuilt and all good. Checked the entire frame and nothing lodged anywhere. No hard contact.

Gary

Old 05-23-2015, 05:20 PM
thegary
5th Gear

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Lots of vibrations on rubber mounted engines involve loose or misaligned exhaust. About 90% of the time something is wrong with the exhaust. Loose heat shield, bad clamp, hitting the frame, etc.
Have you gone over the exhaust system?

Is it stock or aftermarket?

Exhaust is good , its after market and is aligned. Exhaust has been on there since day one. Worked for 3 years before vibration started.
Gary

Old 05-23-2015, 05:28 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Check your crankshaft runout.

Quick Reply: 2009 Superglide Custom Intermittent Vibration and getting worse!