Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2015 Dyna+Security System+Fuelpak3 = Engine Light On?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:12 PM
bykerg
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Dyna+Security System+Fuelpak3 = Engine Light On?

Hi HDForum, this is my first post here, how this newbie question could get noticed.

l I just bought my first Harley two weeks ago. It's a 2015 Street Bob. Over last weekend I installed Vance&Hines Fuelpak 3 on it and I just love the convenience of monitoring the data on my phone.

Today I had it brought back to the dealer to have the HD Smart security system installed. Well that's where the problem came up. The service guy told me because of the Fuelpack3, the engine light is going to be on all the time. It won't hurt my bike though he said.

Is this something we have to deal with. I mean, for a new bike I don't want to watch it on forever. .

I'm planning to change the pipes, so a power management is a must I think, so what options do we have?

Thank you for reading.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

That is weird.

First thing I would do is read your trouble code, have you done that yet? If you don't know how, simply go into your app and click on read trouble codes then follow directions. If it's showing as a fault clear the code which should remove the light from the dash, then when you start the bike again see if it comes back. If none of this works I would email the support group through your FP3, they generally respond within 24 hours. I guarantee that if this is "normal" they'll know about it. FWIW this is the first I've heard of that one and I know others who have the FP3 and have the HD security system (albeit was factory installed).

Old 06-03-2015, 03:48 PM
bykerg
Stage IV

Thank you for the reply.
I read the code. It is
B2161
Brake lamp output open.

So far i've done these:
1. clear the error code -- doesn't work. The same error code will show up again.
2. remove the fuelpak from the bike -- same result as above.

Will call both fuelpak and Harely to get opinions. Will come back and update.

Originally Posted by robbyville
That is weird.

First thing I would do is read your trouble code, have you done that yet? If you don't know how, simply go into your app and click on read trouble codes then follow directions. If it's showing as a fault clear the code which should remove the light from the dash, then when you start the bike again see if it comes back. If none of this works I would email the support group through your FP3, they generally respond within 24 hours. I guarantee that if this is "normal" they'll know about it. FWIW this is the first I've heard of that one and I know others who have the FP3 and have the HD security system (albeit was factory installed).

Old 06-04-2015, 05:25 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

So if you clear the code and then remove the fp3 it still comes back? I would then flash the original map back to the bike and remove the fp3. Then if the code and light are still there post clearing you can rule out the tuner as the cause.

Last edited by robbyville; 06-04-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you try disconnecting the security system? If you unplug the security system I think the bike will still start.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:36 PM
bykerg
Stage IV

Nope. I didn't unplug the security system.

Finally today I got time to try the following ways and the problem persists. I will bring the bike back to the dealer on Monday for them to check.
Attempts:
1. I cleared the error code and removed the fuelpak. Problem persists.
2. I cleared the error code, flashback to the stock map, removed the fuelpak. Problem persists. After riding a while the engine light is on again.

Maybe, it's just my bike.

Here are the attempts I did today:
Originally Posted by Rubline
Did you try disconnecting the security system? If you unplug the security system I think the bike will still start.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:03 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the dealer saying the FP3 is the reason for the issue is just them taking thew easy way out. I think you have already proved them to be wrong with their assessment since you flashed the stock map back and removed the FP3.

Your stock bike had a Turn Signal Module (TSM) and now the dealer has replaced it with a Hands Free Security Module (HFSM). In Japan and Korea the HFSM would be a Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM).

TSM:
Controls Turn Signals
Serves as a bank angle sensor (signal auto cancel)

TSSM/HFSM:
Same functions as TSM
+Security and Immobilization functions

Since this issue arose after the dealer swapped your TSM for an HFSM it would make more sense that the HFSM is either bad or installed incorrectly. I would take the bike back to the dealer without the FP3 installed and ask them to fix the problem.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

I would agree with that! To have the original map and remove the fp3 and still have the indicator debunks the whole fp3 interference concept

Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 AM
Roadwarrior138
Stage IV

Did you ever sort this out? I'm having the same problem. I went to the dealer without security. Left with security and b2161 and no brake lights 2015 streetbob