Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuelpak FP3 cam change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
@ timsmcm
If you are going to do the cams in the future then Pine Tree's advice would save buying something twice.

The FP3 was fine when I had a stage 1 with V&H slip-ons. Stage 1 with Pro Pipe I have no experience, I did 2-1 and cams at the same time.

Hopefully it is starting to come together now as I get better at EFI. How close to a dyno tune I get remains to be seen but I'm feeling a lot better about it.

Mind you ...the more you read about dyno tunes the more you think there may be a bit hit n miss there as well
Hi Gordon,

I'm sorry that you're having so many challenges (maybe you're just getting too knowledgeable and it's starting to make you dangerous )

For me, it was as simple as downloading the map that Chris did for me. I also auto tuned that map. With my old pipes it ran quite well but I still went to a reputable dynotuner and brought an ipad with me so that I could have a larger screen. While he was able to make some great improvements over the auto tune, I was frankly more amazed at how similar the graphs looked. The professional tune highlighted some areas of improvement but overall the auto tune coupled with the downloaded map were incredibly close.

Since I put on the Supermeg I used a map that Chris did for me but coupled with the propipe and standard baffle. It's really been performing beautifully with nary a burble. I may still auto tune just to see if there's any difference.

Good luck, I really hope it all works out!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Hi Robby

If you don't mind medisks did you go for

Was it Einstein that said a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ...and so is a lot one way or another thou, it's coming together so no real problem, thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, where were the great improvements? and just curious ...I did see a few threads on number of disks - how many disks did you go for?

cheers

Old 07-01-2015, 03:24 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Hi Robby

If you don't mind medisks did you go for

Was it Einstein that said a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ...and so is a lot one way or another thou, it's coming together so no real problem, thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, where were the great improvements? and just curious ...I did see a few threads on number of disks - how many disks did you go for?

cheers
Right now I'm still using the 20 disks with closed end cap. I briefly tried 12 disks with open end cap. I did feel like the performance with the open end cap may have been a tad better, maybe a little more torque quickly, but I believe that flies in the face of what is supposed to happen (I think with open end cap you lose a little torque and gain some upper HP), but again I'm not sure.

I went back to the closed end cap for now since I'm still enjoying reduced volume, louder than stock and sounds amazing when open throttle but more muffled at cruise and idle.

I haven't had the bike Dyno'd with the new pipe yet but Jmummery has the V&H pro-pipe and same cams, got some pretty darn good numbers. My guy told me that he felt the 2:2 pipes were holding me back maybe 10-15% in HP so theoretically that would bring me to about 90-95. According to the FP3 I've gotten up to about 115 torque.

From an anecdotal standpoint I'd say the 2:1 pipe is a smoother delivery than the 2:2, probably better numbers but I obviously don't ride WOT all that often!

Old 07-05-2015, 02:55 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Hi Robby
I think the open cap was the same as putting in 4 more disks, and yea, more discs more open more loud for better HP but less gives a bit more back pressure and more or better torque.

I think suggestions were 20 for HP and 16 for torque. So your 12+open end = 16 technically may have had a little more torque, interesting that you actually felt it.

I went with the quiet baffle in the pro pipe to help torque, I'm not really a WOT kind of guy :-)

Old 07-05-2015, 02:02 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Makes sense. Same here about WOT, for supertrapp they say that putting on the open end cap is the same as removing 8 disks. Weird I know.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:13 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Hi all

well I'm getting better at reading VE tables, and what really helps is the Dyno Vision software that shows the graphs and can analyse between tunes etc (cough) it would be nice to see something for the FP3 :-)

Anyways, it is dialling in ok but I have changed the base ve tables quite a bit. The autotune sort of hinted at where it was trying to go so looking at lots of other maps I might have found a slightly better starting point and as I say, it is getting there quite quickly now and reasonably smooth as well.

Except, and here is the question, the base map or a slightly tweaked version all do the same thing - auto tune is taking stacks of fuel out of the 2 and 5% throttle columns ...allthe way down to 53 !!!

Front ve for example
0% 2% 5% 7%
77.5 78.0 78.5 etc
84.4 81.4 78.7
84.0 56.5 67.0
84.0 59.5 72.5
87.0 56.0 71.5
89.5 64.5 73.0
87.0 59.5 63.5
86.5 57.0 67.5
85.5 53.5 65.0
84.0 82.0 55.0
82.0 85.5 80.5
etc

The rest of the table is a lot closer although I've not pushed it past 4K yet

Surely putting a new cam in wouldn't make it less efficient would it? does this look right for an Andrews 57h

I'm starting to wonder if this Pro Pipe isn't playing nicely, even tho I have the quiet baffle in to try to keep the torque up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, even if its a that's fine and keep going??

cheers
Gordon