Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuelpak FP3 cam change question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:02 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Fuelpak FP3 cam change question

Hi All, rather than hijack someone else perfectly good discussion...

The FP3 now allows you to change the IVO and IVC to cater for new cams, which gets us past the stage 1 tuner label it used to have. I've also read a couple of threads where you send your map to V&H and give them the cam specs and they send you a new map back.

Thing is, I put in an Andrews 57h which is not exactly anywhere close to the original 2014 softail yet was advised that nothing needed to be changed and just do an autotune.

I started with the 2014 Softail 103, Pro Pipe, and hi-flow AC - runs ok ish but way too rich. Auto tune made it worse and really messed up low throttle around the town.

Does anyone else have a 57h that their IVO and IVC were changed that I might try your values? (actually the numbers in there don't seem to correspond to an actual angle you can take off the cam spec so it's not as if you can do it yourself)

cheers for any thoughts G

By the way - does anyone get any MPG readings to show?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
...Thing is, I put in an Andrews 57h which is not exactly anywhere close to the original 2014 softail yet was advised that nothing needed to be changed and just do an autotune...
Unless the cam specs are nearly identical to the first cam, you'll most likely need to reset the VE's to start with. Failure to do so will probably result in wrong numbers in most cells.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Thanks Pine Tree
I thought the IVO and IVC affected when the EFI took MAP measurements and if this was wrong it would knock the rest of the tables off??

so do you think auto tune the VE tables is the first thing to do? or sorry, how do you mean reset VE's (and on an FP3)

Old 06-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

...sorry, forgot to mention that when I said it was way too rich - I meant it stinks to high heaven especially at startup but also sat at lights even when warmed up, and I can't get rid of the P0132/52 front/rear sensor rich codes ...unless I put the map back to stock.

Some of the autotune that I was trying to do was pulling the VE down in the cruise range to 58 so at least its trying to take the fuel out.

I did read about a couple of success storied about FP3 and 57h ...I was hoping for more than 77HP mind you

Old 06-14-2015, 06:02 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Strike that - according to TTS changing camshaft timing will affect your VE tables so it looks like camshaft profile first, then auto tune.

Can anyone confirm the 57h uses the same numbers as a stock 2014 103?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:56 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Strike that - according to TTS changing camshaft timing will affect your VE tables so it looks like camshaft profile first, then auto tune.

Can anyone confirm the 57h uses the same numbers as a stock 2014 103?
Gordon, We have had email correspondence back and forth for your maps. In the last review I found your VE tables in the 0% Column to have some rather rich values. I have made some manual adjustments to help with this condition. This should solve your rich codes that you are seeing. I took a screen capture of what your VE's were prior to the changes. If there was an air leak and you ran an AutoTune session, this would explain the higher value. As AutoTune was trying to throw fuel at it to fix it.

I have made the changes and sent it back directly to your phone. You can download and flash anytime.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Cheers Chris, really appreciate that and will try to get out at the weekend and let you know.

I see what you mean about not having to change cam timing by the way, car tuners don't change anything either, unless the cams are rather radical... I'm learning (ok ok, slowly)

Now that you mention air leak I've just remembered that when I installed the pro pipe I noticed the end of the header pipe was "rounded" rather than having a bit of a tapered like the original stock headers. I used new tapered seals (as the instructions advised) and while I don't think I can see a leak ...quick sanity check - should the seals be the new tapered ones or old flat ones

Old 06-15-2015, 02:38 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Cheers Chris, really appreciate that and will try to get out at the weekend and let you know.

I see what you mean about not having to change cam timing by the way, car tuners don't change anything either, unless the cams are rather radical... I'm learning (ok ok, slowly)

Now that you mention air leak I've just remembered that when I installed the pro pipe I noticed the end of the header pipe was "rounded" rather than having a bit of a tapered like the original stock headers. I used new tapered seals (as the instructions advised) and while I don't think I can see a leak ...quick sanity check - should the seals be the new tapered ones or old flat ones
The flat ones are used for extra clearance in some cases, but do not allow as much "give" as the tapered. If you have the tapered in there now, I would leave them.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:28 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Good luck Gordon,

I also have the 57h with map adjusted by Chris. while I use a different pipe than you it would be interesting to compare tables once you're done. I have not autotuned my most recent version but might once I finally decide which end cap and number of disks in my supermeg to use. The map that Chris worked on for me is based off the propipe though.

On the potential leak, have you done a test yet? Lots of ways to do it but I simply used a long lighter and floated it around the exhaust header ports to see if the flame would be snuffed out.

Enjoy

Old 06-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
The flat ones are used for extra clearance in some cases, but do not allow as much "give" as the tapered. If you have the tapered in there now, I would leave them.
Cheers again Chris.
A quick shot around the block tonight and there is still a bit of a petrol smell but not as obvious and no error codes so far.

I'm pretty sure there's no leak but I'll get the torque wrench out again and just double make sure they are tight enough just in case they have given a wee bit more than expected after a few hundred miles, and then triple check there are no leaks again

@Robby, will do, let me get an auto tune in the bag over the weekend. Hopefully this one will come up better.
I just couldn't make my mind up between the Pro Pipe or Supermeg, the reports put the two pretty level performance wise. The Supermeg was just too expensive here in the UK so I went Pro Pipe and am more than happy. I also preferred the mounting bracket on the frame instead of the transmission case, but that probably doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Fuelpak FP3 cam change question