Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

09+ PCV and Autotune, proper procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:48 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09+ PCV and Autotune, proper procedure?

Here's some of my thoughts on using the PCV with Autotune on the newer bikes with the Delphi computers....

I had 99 Corvette. I tuned it on the street to near perfection over a few week period using HPTuners and an LC1 wideband using Lambda. I'm not going to get into the particulars of that, other than a couple things.

The Harley and the Chev computers are very similar....tables are load and volume based. All the tuning done on my vette was done on the MASS air flow sensor tables modifying the grams of air per second. I also used a copied timing table with a little less timing...but we won't discuss that now.

So anyways, for the last 2 years I have been using the PCV with autotune on my factory 09 103.
I have always left the autotune on, and have made a dozen or so changes starting with a zero map and accepting the autotune's trims.

The way I've created the trims is by cruising AND loading the motor and using varying throttle positions and going WOT. Keep in mind, I always have the autotune on too....

So it just dawned on me, two things....
1st) should I turn off the autotune and allow the computer to adjust fuel based on load? The computer is always being over ridden by the set a/f of the autotune. Perhaps based on load, the bike needs MORE fuel, but the AT is preventing it in order to achieve a certain a/f.
2nd) should the autotune tables be created by gentle (not much load) throttle openings and try to cover as much 'throttle position' and 'rpm' as possible without loading the motor too much? Then turn off the autotune and allow the computer to add and subtract fuel based on load?

Do you see how the PCV/autotune has bastardized the computer if I've never been consistent in the procedure of populating the AT tables?

You see, all the mapping of the PCV is doing is modding the 'base' fuel map of the stock computer...should I allow the stock computer to adjust itself accordingly?
So it's basically turned your modern system into a 1999 computer!

Now, let's look at the Power Vision...very similar to the HP Tuners program I used on the Corvette. Power Vision I am assuming allows you to tune on the load (mass air) tables and other areas, not just a basic fuel map. I will also assume that is what the 'tuners' do with it.

So I've posed a couple questions as to how to maximize the use of the PCV on the newer bikes. What do you think?

Old 06-16-2015, 01:48 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

I hope my post is pretty clear! LOL!

Old 06-17-2015, 12:48 PM
hdultra2010
Cruiser

4if am not mistaken. You have to ran at at half hour increment and try tu use all range of table feom low rpm to high rpm .tgen save it and load tge new tune that u made to ur ecm. Next time u go for ride .choose to AT the new loaded tune and goes from there . And load second tune to ur ecm.... till u feel it good to ur riding...

Old 06-23-2015, 09:34 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

well??

Old 06-30-2015, 11:46 AM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

still looking for answers on this! LOL

Old 06-30-2015, 02:36 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

so...
AT (autotune) on, everything is out the door, AT wants to keep you at the set A/F on the AT tables...allowed because Optimizers put it in OPEN LOOP.

AT OFF, the ECM uses the factory fueling PLUS the fuel tables on the PCV, and therefore the ECM adds (or subtracts) fuel based on LOAD (whacking the throttle, hard acceleration, etc) and then of course would not be following the AT's tables at all, but will be close because the factory O2's are not working due to the Optimizers putting the bike in OPEN LOOP.

Correct????

Old 11-12-2019, 11:04 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

wrong thread sorry

Last edited by OzBobPanGlide; 11-12-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:52 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Delete

Old 06-06-2020, 06:08 AM
rtbuck89
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Hey guys can anyone recommend the cheapest laptop or similar device that uses a windows operating system so I can use it for my PV? Google Chrome has a monopoly around here.
Edit: Would something as simple as this work for getting a tune from Jamie in an email and downloading it to my PV?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitu...MAAOSw-m1e0~Tx

Last edited by rtbuck89; 06-06-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:51 PM
rtbuck89
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Sorry wrong thread.

Quick Reply: 09+ PCV and Autotune, proper procedure?