Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Results from Powervision Auto Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 AM
johnson27
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Results from Powervision Auto Tune

So, a little background here first. 2007 Road King, 96ci, stock headers.
Got my Powervision from Jamie at FuelMoto. Preloaded with a tune, screamin eagle a/c and Wild Pig slip-ons. Ran pretty good, but I ran a couple autotune sessions and still had some decel pops. I decided that I did not want to stick with the Wild Pigs, and went to Rinehart 4" slip-ons. I used the tune I was currently running with the WP slip-ons and this is what I came up with on my screen when done with my first autotune in the current configuration of my Road King. Mind you, I need to clarify I do not have a 'windows based' computer in the house, so, short of loading the WinPV software on my work computer, I'm using only the bike mounted Powervision to get my data. Should I expect to run at least a couple more sessions? Decel pops have decreased but not disappeared, and I still notice a little when shifting thru a few gears. Anyway, here's the screen, and I apologize in advance for the shitty photo.

Last edited by johnson27; 06-30-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Harley Convert
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That screen only shows us how many times you hit a particular cell as you ride. The colors indicated whether or not the PV has enough info for each cell. Red means it has enough information for that cell and green means you need to hit it a few more times.

Typically you need to run 3 Autotune sessions in order for to give the PV a chance to tune your bike the best it can. But you will need to hook up the PV to a computer in order to download your tune file so someone here can take a look and recommend any changes to problem areas.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:10 PM
johnson27
Advanced
Default screen

Thank you for the reply. I know there are also different screens available to show different items as well. So, does a red '99' would mean I'm way off in that particular field?

At some point, is the 'goal' to have very few 'hits' in most fields? or doesn't that mean its about as good as it gets.

I know with a computer I could look at 'percentage' of change within areas on the table and try to get them down to around no more than a 3%. At least that's what I gather from reading these forums.

Can anyone answer this question.....is there a screen to view on the PV and know that I'm done with autotune?

Thanks,
J27

Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Harley Convert
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The numbers in the cell indicate how many times you've hit that cell. So red 99 means that you've been to that cell 99 times and it the PV has enough info for that cell.

The goal during autotune is to get as many cells red as possible. And your ultimate goal is to have a less than a 2% change in each cell between each Autotune session.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:23 PM
johnson27
Advanced

Thanks.
I think I'm just going to have to download the stuff to the work computer and take advantage of the tools available.
Thanks!
J27

Old 07-02-2015, 11:11 AM
johnson27
Advanced
Default WinPV

So, downloaded WinPV on my work computer with the help of IT support.
One of the guys uses tuners on his diesel and his snowmobile, so he was cool about the whole thing.
I'm now going thru the 150 page user guide pdf download to figure this out.
Doesn't seem to user friendly, at least not to me.
I'll keep reading and trying.
Thanks
J27

Old 07-02-2015, 11:28 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't find mine to be user friendly either. I haven't done an auto tune since last year but I don't remember seeing any color on my screen. Were the old ones just one color on the auto tune screen or have I not found the right screen? I have done several auto tunes.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:51 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

yes I ended up buying a used windows PC($50) to run winPV and megalogviewer.

i suggest reading the main Powervision thread, the last 30-40 pages have been very good.

autotune basic wont help with decel pop and you will have to go into some of the other parameters of winPV to address the pop

Last edited by mirrmu; 07-03-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Stych
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing that I think gets some guys is that when you start AutoTune, it ISN'T tuning. It's gathering data so that it can modify the tune that it's currently using. The screen that you show is just WHERE and how much data it has collected, but not by how much (there is another screen for that). As far as what you're seeing from your pic, more hits is better, but it's a diminishing return. 10 is a lot better than 5, 20 is somewhat better than 10, 50 is a bit better than 20, and I doubt there's much gain beyond that. That's because nothing in your tune is changing WHILE you run AutoTune. Once you've gathered some data (and you're there, BTW) select the "Export Learned" button, and it will prompt you to save a new tune (NOW with changes applied). That tune should be an improvement over where you started. Repeat the process using the new tune, and endeavor to fill a wider range of cells. You won't get them all, not even close, but more is better. As you progress your subsequent tunes should improve, and eventually you'll see very little change in the VE tables (3-5%), although you'll still be gathering data and showing a large number of hits in the cells where you ride a lot. At that point your VE tables are probably pretty close, and you can move on to your AFR table, and various tweaks to get rid of decel pop, etc. Sorry if any of this is redundant, and hope it starts coming together for you soon.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 AM
johnson27
Advanced
Default percentages of change

Is the 'percentage of change' a view on WinPV? I believe I saw that when I was trying to look at the tables/fields when I downloaded the results.

Is there a screen on the PV unit itself for those percentage changes as well?

FYI, I've only run the autotune twice with my current and most likely final setup of pipes-a/c. I may run it once or twice more as I'm planning a couple rides where there are some long climbing hills and some short twisty sections.

I have also found a somewhat 'local' certified PV tuner that said I can call anytime and set an appointment for him to dyno and tune. Said it takes 4-6 hours, and for $300 I may do that.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Results from Powervision Auto Tune