Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need help with Fp3/ Stage one issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:11 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Need help with Fp3/ Stage one issue

Good Morning All,

I installed V&H Dresser Dual Headers, V&H Twin Slash Round mufflers, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and Fuelpak yesterday. I flashed the bike with the associted CAN map provided by V&H. I have an issue now. The bike seems to be running sporadically. There are hard vibrations from 3k rpms and up, and I mean ROUGH. The throttle response is sluggish and inconsistent. If I crack the throttle the bike will lurch forward then settle down, then lurch forward again. I checked the diagnostics on the fuelpak and it said I was running to rich then to lean. It recommended running the auto tune feature which I am doing now. I have re tightened all the bolts and there appears to be no leaks at the cylinder heads. Also when the rpms drop around 2k the engine sounds as if im at 500rpms, the lugging and chugging is horrific.

I will be contacting V&H tonight to see if they have any suggestions, whether it was an installation error on my part or maybe I need to continue to auto tune. Any ideas on what the issue is. This is my new 2015 street glide special I just picked up after trading in my Street Bob which I had also brought to stage one without any issues. Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks all.
Matt

Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Bone Keeper
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you didn't swap O2 sensors.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:18 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer

Would swapping the sensors really cause all the problems I described? I'll have to double check that they are in correctly, but as of now I'm confident they are. Thanks for the idea though.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mndelrosario
Would swapping the sensors really cause all the problems I described? I'll have to double check that they are in correctly, but as of now I'm confident they are. Thanks for the idea though.
If you have picked the right map then a stage 1 should not be that far out so auto tuning with it that bad doesn't fit all of the other advice here about getting your base map as close as possible.

You almost hope there is something wrong like getting the sensors mixed up, although you can't do that on softail because of wire lengths and such but I don't know the street glide

Hope you find something silly to laugh about after

Old 08-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

...another quick check would be to try the stock tune again, just for a minute to prove a point sort of thing

Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mndelrosario
Good Morning All,

I installed V&H Dresser Dual Headers, V&H Twin Slash Round mufflers, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and Fuelpak yesterday. I flashed the bike with the associted CAN map provided by V&H. I have an issue now. The bike seems to be running sporadically. There are hard vibrations from 3k rpms and up, and I mean ROUGH. The throttle response is sluggish and inconsistent. If I crack the throttle the bike will lurch forward then settle down, then lurch forward again. I checked the diagnostics on the fuelpak and it said I was running to rich then to lean. It recommended running the auto tune feature which I am doing now. I have re tightened all the bolts and there appears to be no leaks at the cylinder heads. Also when the rpms drop around 2k the engine sounds as if im at 500rpms, the lugging and chugging is horrific.

I will be contacting V&H tonight to see if they have any suggestions, whether it was an installation error on my part or maybe I need to continue to auto tune. Any ideas on what the issue is. This is my new 2015 street glide special I just picked up after trading in my Street Bob which I had also brought to stage one without any issues. Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks all.
Matt
@mndelrosario- You sent an email this morning as well, and the screen capture you sent had P0151, P0152, P0131, P0132. Which is rich and lean codes. This means that your O2 sensors are transposed. This will throw off the Adaptive Fuel Values and dramatically effect the overall run-ability of the bike. Swap the O2 sensors to correct front-in-front, rear-in-rear and then flash the same map again. This will clear the Adaptive Fuel Values (it started learning incorrect values as soon as you started it) and start fresh.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:55 PM
mndelrosario
Tourer

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
@mndelrosario- You sent an email this morning as well, and the screen capture you sent had P0151, P0152, P0131, P0132. Which is rich and lean codes. This means that your O2 sensors are transposed. This will throw off the Adaptive Fuel Values and dramatically effect the overall run-ability of the bike. Swap the O2 sensors to correct front-in-front, rear-in-rear and then flash the same map again. This will clear the Adaptive Fuel Values (it started learning incorrect values as soon as you started it) and start fresh.
Thank you for the reply here aswell! I did receive your email and will swap the sensors after work. Do you know if it is possible to swap them while the pipes remain on. I would like to do it before I ride it home, however dismantling my bike at my work wouldn't be ideal. Thanks again.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Bone Keeper
4th Gear

See if you can swap connectors under the right side panel next to the abs box.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:10 PM
mndelrosario
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bone Keeper
See if you can swap connectors under the right side panel next to the abs box.
So basically use the connection ports under the right side panel so that they would be grey/black and black/grey? Is that O.K. to do? Thanks brother.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Bone Keeper
4th Gear

It's ok, they are the same part, just color coordinated so you don't mix them up. Black is back or rear cylinder gray front. I would fix them when you get home though to the original places to prevent future complications.

Quick Reply: Need help with Fp3/ Stage one issue