Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help with the popping

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Help with the popping

I have an 05 Fatboy. Now is stock other than slip ons.
Pops and snaps on decel. I have a Vigilante tuner and have been trying many combos.
Still pops pretty good. I had a K&N AC and pulled it off for the stock unit.
Is it possible that the packing is just burned out? I cant get the baffles out without some brute force. Seems like the more fuel I put to it from the tuner that the more it pops. I dont want to run it too lean.
I cant see the value of running a dyno tune for a stock bike with slip ons. Its better with the stock tune in it but I dont want to be lean. I am just about ready to put the stock mufflers back on but I dont think I can bring myself to do that. I have Screamin Eage II slip ons.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

<p>Check for leaks at the joints. Extra air will cause this.</p>

Old 08-28-2015, 04:57 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
I have an 05 Fatboy. Now is stock other than slip ons.
Pops and snaps on decel. I have a Vigilante tuner and have been trying many combos.
Still pops pretty good. I had a K&N AC and pulled it off for the stock unit.
Is it possible that the packing is just burned out? I cant get the baffles out without some brute force. Seems like the more fuel I put to it from the tuner that the more it pops. I dont want to run it too lean.
I cant see the value of running a dyno tune for a stock bike with slip ons. Its better with the stock tune in it but I dont want to be lean. I am just about ready to put the stock mufflers back on but I dont think I can bring myself to do that. I have Screamin Eage II slip ons.
I'm not familiar with this particular tuner, but look for a decal enleanment table. That's where most flash tuners correct for decel pop.

If you have this function, you should be able to tune out the decal pop without leaning out the entire tune. It works in the area just off idle where the popping generally occurs.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:59 AM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

See if you check the trouble codes or diagnostic codes from the tuner, maybe it will help tell you what is going on. (I have that feature on the fuelpak)