Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ticking/knocking noise above intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:11 PM
jimfount00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ticking/knocking noise above intake

2012 street glide. I've recently found I was missing the cap to cover the charcoal canister over the intake. I don't have the canister. Just supposed to be capped. I have the S&S stealth air cleaner and found oil oozing out which is why I started pulling stuff apart to clean it.

I didn't know what it was at first and started the bike and plugged the hole with my finger. Noticed it sucked in a lot of air and almost died out on me. I have it dyno tuned with the power vision. I'm not 100% it was tuned with or without that vacuum cap on.

I reinstalled intake and put the cap on. Reloaded my tune just in case and now I have a much more noticeable ticking/knocking coming from the intake area up top. Sounds like its right below the gas tank. Almost sounds like it is knocking up against something. This is only at idle when warm. It goes away when I give it a little gas or cruising down the road. Just warm at idle.

Any suggestions appreciated. Can't pinpoint what is happening and I'm OCD about stuff like this. Driving me crazy. Only started when I put the cap back on.