Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How to know whacha' got?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 11:38 PM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Vernal, pictures are always worth a thousand words. And they're easier for me than trying to read. LOL!

Regards, Joe.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You're welcome Joe.
I hope you heal up soon and get back to riding!

Old 01-23-2016, 02:58 PM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced

Yeh, you me both. This having a cast on one arm and a splint on the other really sucks. Have to depend on others for almost everything. If I could have only talked that Dr into wrapping the handle bars into the cast I'd have been 'good to go'.... LOL!

But, y'all will be glad to know that I just bought a factory service manual from right here off the forum from another member. I found it advertised on the 'Sportster' section and I think I was successful in sending him a payment through Paypal. I've already mentioned my 'puter skills leave a lot to be desired, so I'm not sure it all went through, but he'll le me know shortly I hope.

But again, thanks to all who have jumped in with some answers to those things 'bugging the crap out of me.

Regards, Joe.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpinjoe313
. If I could have only talked that Dr into wrapping the handle bars into the cast I'd have been 'good to go'.... LOL!

But, y'all will be glad to know that I just bought a factory service manual

Regards, Joe.
When my son was a about 13 or 14 he cracked a bone in his arm. We talked the Orthopedist into styling the cast so he could still hold his hockey stick. Worked great for him

The service manual will explain how to service and maintain the bike. The parts manual shows the exploded views and lets you look up the part numbers so you don't have to rely on someone else. The Electrical Diagnostic Manual explains systems on the bike and how to troubleshoot electrical problems. Your on your way, I'm glad your dream is coming together.
Bill

Old 01-30-2016, 01:58 PM
mike hawk
Cruiser

I'm a little late to this thread, Joe, but I'll add my $0.02 since I have a similar bike, with similar mods.

As far as the slightly blued header pipe... I bought my bike from a HD dealer. It was actually sold as used, with 100 miles on the odo. You read that right. One hundred miles. Now, nothing had been done to this bike, other than a better solo seat bolted on. My header pipe was slightly blued at the head also, when I bought it. Take that as you will. These new lean running bikes will do that almost instantly, it seems.

And as the others stated, it's hard to know what has been done unless you talk with the previous owner.

However, you seem to think that the bike seems to be running OK. That's a good indication that things seem to be working at least well enough.

Before I changed my air cleaner and muffs, I did plug in a pair of Xied inline enrichment devices, which I'll assume are doing their job.

And as far as any 'performance differences' associated with simple mods like these? Not much, if any. Purely for looks and sound. In fact, it could be argued that some of these mods may actually slightly decrease the low-end torque for which these bigger air cooled twins are known for. However, probably not much of a noticeable difference, unless someone installed some insanely loud muffs or straight pipes, which will affect low end.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Just carry it to dealer and let them hook it up to computer and they can tell you if it has a tune or not.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:23 AM
jumpinjoe313
Advanced
Default Jumpinjoe313's Sporty

Well, finally got around to building a small album of my 'new to me' Sporty. It's titled "Jumpinjoe313's Sporty" and has about 7-8 pics in it if I did things right. Hope I did, I'd like for all of you to see just how clean that little beauty is. (2009 and only just over 5K miles) So far so good .......... she's still running like a swiss watch with no apparent issues at all. Since my last post I have had a chance to look at the plugs and they look really good so that takes a load off my mind.

BTW, in my album the bike is sittin' on one of those 'bike dollys' I saw someone on here talking about. Bought it before I really thought it out. My need is for something that I can roll/slide directly sideways a couple feet. Because the front tire stays on the ground with this dolly, I can't rollit directly sideways. This dolly works great if you have a larger area to roll around in than me and a need to move the bike easily from time to time. Makes moving the bike so much easier than having to roll the rear wheel in the front wheel's tracks like I'm doing now.

When I pull in my garage I only have about a 3 foot wide space to pull into. I have to stop out in the middle of that three foot wide space so I have room between me and a big work table on my right to lean it over to the right to put the side stand down. There's a heavy work table on my right and a big tool box on my left. What I've ended up doing is to stop in the middle and put the stand down. Get off and roll the bike back and forth till I work it over to the right as far as possible. Lean it down on the stand and hope I've made enough room to walk in and out of the garage past it when needed.

Mentioned this in case someone might be interested in that dolly. Brand new 3(+-) months ago and $150. Not a scratch on it I don't think. I'll pack it up and ship it for $100 + shipping. Don't remember the brand name right off but it was talked about here on the forum a few months ago. Someone even posted a link to see it in action as I recall and one to the dealer.

If you're interested, please email me direct (jh31304@yahoo.com) as I don't have too much time to play here on the forum and it might be days before I see an inquiry here.

Thanks and regards,
Joe

Last edited by jumpinjoe313; 09-22-2016 at 10:16 PM.