Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition Coil leaking goop!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 07:44 AM
Steen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Coil leaking goop!

Guys,

Got a buddy who just sent me a text of his ignition coil on his 2005 FXD. Looks like it's leaking or somewhat exploded? Obviously a new coil is in order, but what could cause something like this out of nowhere? Any suggestions on electrical tests?

Attached Thumbnails Ignition Coil leaking goop!-img_4277.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

That coil isn't leaking anything. It's melted plastic from the housing. Leaving the key in the ON position with bike not running leaves no way to discharge the coil.

Get a new coil and teach your buddy to turn the key off when the engine isn't running.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:00 AM
Steen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
That coil isn't leaking anything. It's melted plastic from the housing. Leaving the key in the ON position with bike not running leaves no way to discharge the coil.

Get a new coil and teach your buddy to turn the key off when the engine isn't running.
Thanks NomadMax.. I asked him about that, but his pride might be too much to admit it. I checked his ignition switch and it looks to be ok. Any electrical tests you can recommend to see if the coil is still getting power when the key is in the "off" position that are beyond the obvious ones with a multimeter?

Old 02-05-2016, 05:40 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Yup, somebody left their ignition switch on. That's one reason why I hate kill switches to shut down the bike. You can forget about the iggy.

If the coil is leaking then there's a crack in it from the heat. Leaving the ignition on will cook the coil and can wipe out the electronic ignition also. Don't even try to use the coil. Replace it and hope for the best on the ignition.

Last edited by Hey Man; 02-05-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Steen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Yup, somebody left their ignition switch on. That's one reason why I hate kill switches to shut down the bike. You can forget about the iggy.

If the coil is leaking then there's a crack in it from the heat. Leaving the ignition on will cook the coil and can wipe out the electronic ignition also. Don't even try to use the coil. Replace it and hope for the best on the ignition.
Ok, so the plot thickens! Love it when I don't get the full story. So he trailered the bike to the house to replace the coil, wires, brakes and 3-hole fluid change. Went to go start the bike and noticed the back head wasn't firing.. WTF?!?! Called him up and he was like "yea, started running like ^%$# but then I turned it off"

I'm not getting spark to the rear cylinder. Coil is brand new OEM, ohmed it out and it's in spec. Old coil was not. Opened up the electrical box on the dyna and noticed that it looks like the ICM melted a little bit as well. Here's what I've got so far:
  • Swapped coil wires - Still no spark in rear head
  • Tested pins 6+1 and 7+1 on ICM no continuity while trying to turn over motor (manual says test light should flash) (from back of connector while plugged into the ICM)
I'm guessing with the visual inspection and the test results the ICM is shot! Any other ideas? Would the Crankshaft Sensor be bad if I'm getting no signal to the ICM?

Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Steen
Ok, so the plot thickens! Love it when I don't get the full story. So he trailered the bike to the house to replace the coil, wires, brakes and 3-hole fluid change. Went to go start the bike and noticed the back head wasn't firing.. WTF?!?! Called him up and he was like "yea, started running like ^%$# but then I turned it off"

I'm not getting spark to the rear cylinder. Coil is brand new OEM, ohmed it out and it's in spec. Old coil was not. Opened up the electrical box on the dyna and noticed that it looks like the ICM melted a little bit as well. Here's what I've got so far:
  • Swapped coil wires - Still no spark in rear head
  • Tested pins 6+1 and 7+1 on ICM no continuity while trying to turn over motor (manual says test light should flash) (from back of connector while plugged into the ICM)
I'm guessing with the visual inspection and the test results the ICM is shot! Any other ideas? Would the Crankshaft Sensor be bad if I'm getting no signal to the ICM?
If the front cylinder is getting spark that would mean the crank sensor is working.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Steen
Advanced

Yes sir.. front head was getting spark. Weak spark.. but spark none the less. Back was getting nothing at all. What I don't get is how I didn't see any continuity between pins 6 or 7 while trying to turn the bike over. Just went out there to double check and the damn battery is dead from me messing with all the tests. Got it on the tender now.

Last edited by Steen; 02-05-2016 at 05:46 PM.