Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision/ Race Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:05 PM
jackddg22
Road Captain

Received 233 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jackddg22
Have the same setup, 15 FXDL, Bassani, Feuling 525 cams, PowerVision AND Target Tune. Got a map from Fuel Moto and the bike really runs great, never been on a dyno, but I couldn't be happier!!
Jack
Picked the Power Vision on the advise of many on the Sportster and Buell forum for my 1200 Sportster after I did the standard stage one mods. Ran great. Now that I have a 1250 Hammer kit on it with new cams , 10.5 compression and head work expecting 110 hp from it. Will get it tuned by the best guy I can find in Eastern Pa. ( Still Looking, but am thinking Pocono HD).
Bought a duel licence for the Power Vision so I could put it on the Low Rider too. Put a Target tune on the Low Rider, got a map from Fuel Moto, ran a couple auto tunes and she is really running well. The Power Vision is now back on the Sportster. My mechanic is me.
Jack

Last edited by jackddg22; 02-03-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,297 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by yooperhog
if i could figure out how to post a pic on here id show you one of the dyno runs
Two ways to add pictures. When you use the "Quote" you can click on the paper clip in the top row and attach a picture. The second way is to click on the little yellow box with the Mountain and sun in it to insert a picture in your response.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,297 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by jkloeker
Have a few questions, and I'm hoping someone smarter than myself can help me out. I currently have a 2014 FXDL with a Big Sucker, Bassani Road Rage, and Nightrider VIED. Planning on doing cams in the near future so I wanted to go ahead and get my tuner bought now and then save up more to get the cams later.
Both tuners will give you a good tune but I think the PV is easier to use. We have 2 PV's on 2 bikes with stage 1 and the bikes run great after just 3 Basic Auto Tune sessions. I don't need any more power and have all the acceleration I need. You might want to try the PV before you buy cams, you may realize you don't really need them.
Good Luck
Bill

Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
Two ways to add pictures. When you use the "Quote" you can click on the paper clip in the top row and attach a picture. The second way is to click on the little yellow box with the Mountain and sun in it to insert a picture in your response.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:53 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts
Default 777

Originally Posted by yooperhog
well. would you look at that. you can teach an old dog new tricks. thank you my friend.
about the dyno chart.... it is a vance and hines pro pipe, i believe jamies reasoning for listing it as a fat cat was because he modified the the baffle abit.. btw. its deepand loud

Last edited by yooperhog; 02-04-2016 at 04:55 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 02-05-2016, 03:26 AM
PureHybrid
Road Master
Received 376 Likes on 235 Posts

I'd buy the Power Vision again for sure. Not that I have to, just buy a license.

Look up Cook's Customs, in Mount Vernon OH. They will dyno tune using either the HD tuner or the dynojet. Good guys to deal with. Dave is his name.

Other than that, buddy of mine lives in Columbus Indiana, and has had good luck getting dyno tunes done through Mann's Harley.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:14 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
It would be easier to tune with widebands [Auto Tune Pro or Target Tune] but if you purchase from Fuel Moto they will ship it with a map for your application already installed. Maybe take the dyno budget and spend it on a wide band set up and you will be covered
I'm not sure people understand what the wideband set-ups can and cannot do. I use Auto Tune Pro on my 05 Deluxe. It didn't have O2 sensors from the factory.

Auto Tune Pro will adjust VE's and can also adjust timing. It uses a different algorithm.

Autotune Basic sets AFR's to 14.6 across the board and retards timing 4 degrees during an autotune session.

Autotune Pro sets AFR's to 13.0 and can adjust timing (retard only).

Neither mode will adjust the tune AFR's, and that's why it's important to have a good base map to work from. Your AFR's are set in the base tune. They can be adjusted manually if you understand what you're doing, but it can be tedious and time consuming.

If you have a good base map, and Fuel Moto's are excellent, you should be able to get a good tune using Autotune Basic, as you already have good timing and AFR tables. Most people are very happy with these results.

It's important to remember that neither Autotune Pro or Target Tune set optimum AFR's... and that's arguably the most important parameter of the tune. They can improve the tune, but they don't do it all.

I haven't used TT, but it sounds interesting.

I've been meaning to move the Autotune Pro module to my 2010 FLHRC (Stage-2 with Andrews 48 cams) to see if it improves the tune, but it runs so well with a Fuel Moto base map and some autotune sessions, that it hasn't been a priority, and I'm getting ready to bump the Deluxe to 95/98.

Last edited by nhrider1; 02-05-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 AM
jkloeker
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
I'm not sure people understand what the wideband set-ups can and cannot do. I use Auto Tune Pro on my 05 Deluxe. It didn't have O2 sensors from the factory.

Auto Tune Pro will adjust VE's and can also adjust timing. It uses a different algorithm.

Autotune Basic sets AFR's to 14.6 across the board and retards timing 4 degrees during an autotune session.

Autotune Pro sets AFR's to 13.0 and can adjust timing (retard only).

Neither mode will adjust the tune AFR's, and that's why it's important to have a good base map to work from. Your AFR's are set in the base tune. They can be adjusted manually if you understand what you're doing, but it can be tedious and time consuming.

If you have a good base map, and Fuel Moto's are excellent, you should be able to get a good tune using Autotune Basic, as you already have good timing and AFR tables. Most people are very happy with these results.

It's important to remember that neither Autotune Pro or Target Tune set optimum AFR's... and that's arguably the most important parameter of the tune. They can improve the tune, but they don't do it all.

I haven't used TT, but it sounds interesting.

I've been meaning to move the Autotune Pro module to my 2010 FLHRC (Stage-2 with Andrews 48 cams) to see if it improves the tune, but it runs so well with a Fuel Moto base map and some autotune sessions, that it hasn't been a priority, and I'm getting ready to bump the Deluxe to 95/98.
Thanks for helping me understand the differences. So if I had to choose between the two, you think a dyno tune would be a better choice than a Target Tune?

Old 02-05-2016, 03:39 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jkloeker
Thanks for helping me understand the differences. So if I had to choose between the two, you think a dyno tune would be a better choice than a Target Tune?
I think that if you plan to buy from Fuel Moto, they will supply a good base tune and you'll probably won't need either.

I would start with the Fuel Moto tune and run a few autotunes (Autotune Basic). In most cases that's all you will need to do. Most people are satisfied with Autotune basic provided they have a good base tune (AFR's and timing are set in the base tune). Autotune will adjust the VE's for your bike. Most of Fuel Moto's tunes were developed on their dyno and produce excellent results...so all that's needed is to adjust the VE's.

If you don't like the results you can always get a dyno tune and hope to improve it.

I haven't used Target Tune, but from what I've read it has some very nice capabilities, but it won't set AFR's.

The Andrews 57 cams should produce the results you're looking for. I've also seen some very nice curves with the TW48's in 103's.