Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision/ Race Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:05 PM
jkloeker
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Power Vision/ Race Tuner Question

Have a few questions, and I'm hoping someone smarter than myself can help me out. I currently have a 2014 FXDL with a Big Sucker, Bassani Road Rage, and Nightrider VIED. Planning on doing cams in the near future so I wanted to go ahead and get my tuner bought now and then save up more to get the cams later.

The research I've done says the Power Vision is the tuner I want. Buying from Fuel Moto gives me unlimited support/maps, the auto tune feature should save me money by eliminating dyno runs, and I can always add Target Tune if need be at a later time.

Talking to a local indy at the watering hole this weekend, he told me was barking up the wrong tree. Said the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner is the way to go. It's made by the factory, easier to tune, so on and so forth. The man knows his bikes, there is no doubt about that. I think he may just be more familiar with the Harley product than the Power Vision.

Now for my questions.

1. Which is the better tuner? I know this is a loaded question, but would like to hear opinions. I'm not set on either one, so if you know of one that's better than those two, throw it out there.

2. Before adding my cams, would I see much of a benefit to changing from the VIED's to either tuner? Not expecting to see 30 hp, but wondering if it would even register on the ole butt dyno.

3. Does anyone know who the best dyno guy within about three hours of Cincinnati would be? Not sure I'll go with a dyno run, but I'd like to at least see what my options are.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuner choice is an individual preference. I use the SE Race tuner mainly because I've been using them for over 10 years and am familiar with them. I don't know much about the PV but a lot of guys are using them. I use the auto tune feature on my SE but I've always found that I've had to "tweak" the map to make it run perfectly...not sure about the PV but I'm sure Fuel Moto can answer those questions for you.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:08 PM
jackddg22
Road Captain

Received 233 Likes on 113 Posts

Have the same setup, 15 FXDL, Bassani, Feuling 525 cams, PowerVision AND Target Tune. Got a map from Fuel Moto and the bike really runs great, never been on a dyno, but I couldn't be happier!!
Jack

Old 02-02-2016, 04:46 PM
jkloeker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jackddg22
Have the same setup, 15 FXDL, Bassani, Feuling 525 cams, PowerVision AND Target Tune. Got a map from Fuel Moto and the bike really runs great, never been on a dyno, but I couldn't be happier!!
Jack
Can I ask what made you choose the Powervision? Or was that what your mechanic chose? Do you leave it on the bike?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jkloeker
Have a few questions, and I'm hoping someone smarter than myself can help me out. I currently have a 2014 FXDL with a Big Sucker, Bassani Road Rage, and Nightrider VIED. Planning on doing cams in the near future so I wanted to go ahead and get my tuner bought now and then save up more to get the cams later.

The research I've done says the Power Vision is the tuner I want. Buying from Fuel Moto gives me unlimited support/maps, the auto tune feature should save me money by eliminating dyno runs, and I can always add Target Tune if need be at a later time.

Talking to a local indy at the watering hole this weekend, he told me was barking up the wrong tree. Said the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner is the way to go. It's made by the factory, easier to tune, so on and so forth. The man knows his bikes, there is no doubt about that. I think he may just be more familiar with the Harley product than the Power Vision.

Now for my questions.

1. Which is the better tuner? I know this is a loaded question, but would like to hear opinions. I'm not set on either one, so if you know of one that's better than those two, throw it out there.

2. Before adding my cams, would I see much of a benefit to changing from the VIED's to either tuner? Not expecting to see 30 hp, but wondering if it would even register on the ole butt dyno.

3. Does anyone know who the best dyno guy within about three hours of Cincinnati would be? Not sure I'll go with a dyno run, but I'd like to at least see what my options are.
I like the PV. I had a SERT in the past, and I wasn't happy with it...ended up getting a second license for the PV and dumping the SERT.

Some like the SERT but I suspect they are using HD parts exclusively on their rides. There is no tech support and no maps for non HD equipment. I had some problems getting Andrews cams tuned in. It ended up with lots of manual trial and error to get them to run right...and I still wasn't happy with the result. Changed over to a PV and all is well now.

You should see benefits with the PV (or SERT) and your stage-1 set-up. It probably will show some increase in performance and acceleration, and will definitely run smoother. There is no reason to wait for the cams to start using the tuner.
Can't help with a Dyno tuner as I'm in NH...but at least with the PV you probably won't need one. Fuel Moto base maps are outstanding and with a few autotunes, you should be good to go.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

I started with the SE tuner and would not have considered the Power Vision if the SE had the capability to adjust for gearing changes. In the end they basically accomplish the same thing. I like the Power Vision's self contained feature where the SE tuner needs to be used with a laptop. The Power Vision has more parameters that can be adjusted but the SE does just fine with cam swaps like you're looking to do. The most important part is the tuner (person) not the actual tuner (device). If you are looking to do the tuning on the street I would recommend the Power Vision.

There is a dyno guy a little west of Columbus that I have used before. Dynotune Motorsports. He does all the dyno work for all three A.D. Farrow's dealerships. He prefers to use the SE tuner, but for the $400 he charged me he didn't go much deeper than dialing in the VE tables and some minor changes to the AFR table, he didn't mess with timing at all. I was a little disappointed with his effort but I will say that the bike ran 100% greater than it did with the canned map I loaded in the bike from the SE software

Old 02-03-2016, 08:21 AM
jkloeker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nhrider1
I like the PV. I had a SERT in the past, and I wasn't happy with it...ended up getting a second license for the PV and dumping the SERT.

Some like the SERT but I suspect they are using HD parts exclusively on their rides. There is no tech support and no maps for non HD equipment. I had some problems getting Andrews cams tuned in. It ended up with lots of manual trial and error to get them to run right...and I still wasn't happy with the result. Changed over to a PV and all is well now.

You should see benefits with the PV (or SERT) and your stage-1 set-up. It probably will show some increase in performance and acceleration, and will definitely run smoother. There is no reason to wait for the cams to start using the tuner.
Can't help with a Dyno tuner as I'm in NH...but at least with the PV you probably won't need one. Fuel Moto base maps are outstanding and with a few autotunes, you should be good to go.

Thanks. I'm actually looking at Andrews 57, so that helps.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 AM
jkloeker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I started with the SE tuner and would not have considered the Power Vision if the SE had the capability to adjust for gearing changes. In the end they basically accomplish the same thing. I like the Power Vision's self contained feature where the SE tuner needs to be used with a laptop. The Power Vision has more parameters that can be adjusted but the SE does just fine with cam swaps like you're looking to do. The most important part is the tuner (person) not the actual tuner (device). If you are looking to do the tuning on the street I would recommend the Power Vision.

There is a dyno guy a little west of Columbus that I have used before. Dynotune Motorsports. He does all the dyno work for all three A.D. Farrow's dealerships. He prefers to use the SE tuner, but for the $400 he charged me he didn't go much deeper than dialing in the VE tables and some minor changes to the AFR table, he didn't mess with timing at all. I was a little disappointed with his effort but I will say that the bike ran 100% greater than it did with the canned map I loaded in the bike from the SE software
Appreciate the input. I'm hoping the basic auto tune will eliminate the need for a dyno tune. I know it won't be 100% of what a good dyno tune can do, but if I get 95% I'll be happy. Thinking I'll be going with the PV and maybe the Target Tune down the road if I think I need it.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

My 08 had intake, exhaust, 103 kit and 255 cams put in by previous owner but they only did a FuelPak. Not proper setup in my opinion. I am having it redone with a SERT for several reasons. First is because I know all the people at the local dealer very well and trust them. Second is that they have the only dyno in town so I can get it done here and not travel.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jkloeker
Appreciate the input. I'm hoping the basic auto tune will eliminate the need for a dyno tune. I know it won't be 100% of what a good dyno tune can do, but if I get 95% I'll be happy. Thinking I'll be going with the PV and maybe the Target Tune down the road if I think I need it.
It would be easier to tune with widebands [Auto Tune Pro or Target Tune] but if you purchase from Fuel Moto they will ship it with a map for your application already installed. Maybe take the dyno budget and spend it on a wide band set up and you will be covered

Quick Reply: Power Vision/ Race Tuner Question