Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Gas mileage down and black coming out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM
metalfarm
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas mileage down and black coming out of exhaust

Went for a ride two Sunday's ago. I have 09 road king Classic my buddy has 07 Street Gluide with new engine (he tends to get in wrecks. Insurance engine)
Mine has 17,000. He filled up before me and I ran out before him. We have different types of gauges but mine was reading empty and his was reading just under 1/4.

It has a fresh tank of premium and I ran some stabil through it today (gonna be cold for at least 3 weeks) for 10 minutes and noticed the wall behind my pipes had big black circles so the pipes are shooting out something black.

Basically clueless here. Everything normal? Fuel injectors need cleaning? Any suggestions?

My first post. Thanks!!!

Old 02-09-2016, 06:20 PM
metalfarm
Intermediate

More details:
I changed plugs last summer. I cleaned the k&n heavy breather with filter cleaner and oil for the first time yesterday.
I do fluid changes way before they're needed. Has brand new tires with proper pressure.
I did notice some sticky black crap inside the hole where the breather attaches when I had it off but it was very little and wiped right off.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Dave15
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

Black is a rich air fuel mixture. (Did the black start after use of stabil? I've never used fuel additives so I don't know if stabil creates a black exhaust.) You getting less milage per tank also indicates a rich condition. So perhaps you are in need of a tune up unless the stabil is the culprit. My two cents.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Dave15
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

If the air filter was real dirty that could have caused a rich mix. Dirty injectors typically cause a leaner condition due to less fuel being passed. Does it still barf black now air filter has been cleaned? Too much oil on k&n type filters can cause excess oil to be pulled into engine but this should/would be a more blue smoke. This would go away after excess oil is gone. The stabil is an unknown to me so I might not be of much help...anybody else out there have ideas?

Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM
metalfarm
Intermediate

I noticed the black after the use of the Stabil but I've also never had it that close to a wall before to where I would notice it. Actually it was my freezer it was blowing on which is white.
It was the first time the air filter had been "cleaned" ever. I'm still not sure exactly how clean it gets. And I would much prefer the damn thing was removable so I could just replace it once a year.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Was your bike cold when you started it to run the Stabil through it? If it was i believe there is a Warm up Enrichment where the ECM changes the AFR to a richer mixture during warm up.
What MPG's are you getting?

Don't really think you need a fuel additive. My bikes sit for a minimum of 3 months each winter and I don't add anything, but I don't think it hurts anything either.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:10 AM
metalfarm
Intermediate

Yes very cold below freezing.

Haven't kept track of my milage in a while because I'm starting it in the garage and letting it run to charge the battery from time to time.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by metalfarm
Yes very cold below freezing.

Haven't kept track of my milage in a while because I'm starting it in the garage and letting it run to charge the battery from time to time.
Forget starting the bike to charge the battery and get a "Battery Tender".

http://www.batterytender.com/Charger...12V-0-75A.html

I've read that once you start your bike it takes about a 15 mile ride to charge it back up, so that would be 15 min at 2.5K rpm. Starting and idling for 10 min is probably hurting the battery more than helping it.

My bikes are on a tender whenever they are parked in the garage.
Good Luck
Bill