Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

help with tune after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 PM
purgatory
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with tune after cam install

i have a 2014 street glide 103 that I recently installed se 255 cams. I have been working with se pro super tuner an planned to download a map from 2010- 2013 touring 103 with 255 cam but it would not let me because of the year difference. there is no map for a 2014 an up 103 with se 255. so I started the bike with just a stage one download, it started an stalled, this happened a few times, be seemed to get better everytime I started the bike till it eventually stopped stalling an seem to idol an rev like it should. i plan to do smart tune runs... but is there anything else i could do to get me closer? another map i could copy from?? anything??

Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

My bikes an 06 and I run a map from a 2010 Fatboy. Every time I change something it just gives me a warning that this map was not intended for my bike, do I wish to continue and I select yes. So you should be able to use a different year models map, as long as it's suitable.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:29 PM
purgatory
Intermediate

thanks, maybe ill try it again

Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Just smart tune the stage 1 map, there is not enough of a difference between the stock cam and the SE255 to warrant trying to find a different map. IMO the gain from the stock cam in a 14 and later and the SE255 isn't even worth the time, effort and gaskets to make the swap. There are many better cams out there which are truly an upgrade vs pretty much a lateral move. It's not always a good thing interchanging different MY maps, sometimes it works well and other times it isn't a good thing. I'm running a 07 map in my 06 Ultra, in my case I'm using the 07 map because I have O2 sensors installed on my 06.

Last edited by msocko3; 02-24-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:27 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by purgatory
thanks, maybe ill try it again
the 10 to 13 Touring used Map based VE tables and the 14 up uses Throttle position based VE tables. WILL NOT INTERCHANGE using SE tuners. Both PV and TTS give you a choice on the 14 up.
I went ahead and did a map for you. The Rushmore cam and the 255 are very close kin. The 255 is advanced 4 more degrees than the Rushmore giving it a little more low end. The Rushmore being a little retarded will likely pull up high above 3000 little better. The 255 has about .045" more lift. I doubt the lift will make much difference on the Rushmore heads as they only need about .500" lift for max flow. I have been trying to talk someone into putting a 4 degree retard on a 255 and see what happens. I believe it will be a Rushmore cam with little more mid and topend. I had to change the extension to .docx to be able to attach. You will have to change it back to .dt0 That is a zero on the end.

Attached Files
Old 02-28-2016, 05:15 PM
purgatory
Intermediate

Wow thanks, tho I was able to load your map into my computer for what ever reason...

Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 PM
purgatory
Intermediate

ok got your map in the tuner, may I ask how you came up with this? it looks pretty good... before I new you made me a map, I made my own. I used the ve tables from the stage one with se high flow exhaust combined with the timing from the 2010-2013 103 with 255s

Old 02-28-2016, 05:52 PM
purgatory
Intermediate

map numbers 617SHA202 ve tables
044SBN044 timing tables

Old 02-28-2016, 08:40 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by purgatory
ok got your map in the tuner, may I ask how you came up with this? it looks pretty good... before I new you made me a map, I made my own. I used the ve tables from the stage one with se high flow exhaust combined with the timing from the 2010-2013 103 with 255s
Been making maps for several years now. I mostly do the SEPST and Power Vision maps. I basically used the same method you are using when started out of looking at things I wanted in different strategies and borrow from one to the other. It got much simpler when I learned what each step of the VE tables was related to. low cruise, idle, high cruise, light acceleration, decel area, shifting area normal and performance. Spark always uses Map Kpa and some years use Map Kpa and some use TPS for the VE's. PV and SEPST on 14 up touring use TPS or Map for VE tables, AFR is always Kpa also. Been tuning engines for 40 years or so, so I recognize lean and rich conditions pretty easy. I also use lots of data logs and very little autotune. Data Logs and Autotuning give same results if you fix what needs fixing and don't let autotune lean out too much and cause poor response. You can also work with your timing for spark knock issues with the Data logs. I use Excel some and mostly now use MLV as it is much faster to use.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:33 PM
purgatory
Intermediate

thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. ill keep you posted on how your tune works. thanks again.

Quick Reply: help with tune after cam install