Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2015 RG - Ignition Switch Knob Detent/Ignition Lugs Misaligned, Security System Armed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:41 PM
aklowrider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RG - Ignition Switch **** Detent/Ignition Lugs Misaligned, Security System Armed

In process of installing HD Heated Grips, I had to remove Ignition Switch ****. Trying to go cheap, I did so without purchasing the $105, 2015 Touring Model Service Manual - which I have since purchased after having Ignition **** problem - not much help there once you've screwed up. To summarize, I removed Ignition **** without marking location of **** in relation to Lugs in Ignition Channel. I can't align Ignition Switch **** on channel lugs. On top of that, the Security System is armed (Key FOB needs to remain within inches of ignition switch, even with main fuse removed), and once armed, it can't be disarmed without having Ignition Switch **** mounted correctly. In order to disarm Security System, the Ignition **** needs to be on Ignition setting. The first step is to install Ignition Switch **** properly. It has turned into a nightmare. I made custom tool, used screwdriver - tried everything. With Security System armed, I can't see where Ignition **** and Ignition Channel Lugs are because lights won't come on to locate Ignition setting on Ignition Switch ****. Yes, I should have purchased service manual first. I'm not much of a wrench turner, but I've done all the work on my '04 Dyna LR - it is simple compared to 2015 Road Glide Special. BTW, installation of HD Heated Grips was a piece of cake. Help! Anyone with experience on Ignition Switch **** removal and Security Systems on 2015 Road Glide Special out there? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2016, 12:06 AM
aklowrider
Intermediate

Wow! No one on here have a clue how to fix this? Well, with the help of my riding buddy, I did eventually get the Ignition Switch **** lined up with Ignition Channel Lugs, and got the bike into Fork Lock mode. BUT . . . . . the Forks are locked in every position of the Ignition ****, with no power to the lights in the Ignition position. And, I still can't disarm the armed Security System. Don't know if that's the problem or not????? Anyone, any ideas?

Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Without the right tool there's really no tips anyone can give. You have to just keep playing with it until you get all the cogs lined up. I've been there

The following users liked this post:
aklowrider (04-12-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

I suggest calling up a buddy and have him come over. Remove his by the book. Look down the hole and set your like his.

aklowrider (04-12-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 AM
aklowrider
Intermediate

Thanks for advice. But, it seems lined up. Ignition Switch **** is completely seated. However, Forks stay locked in any Ignition Switch **** position with no power in ignition selector mode. Do you think it's still misaligned? And what is up with armed security system. Dang, good think I kept Dyna LR - that was so easy to work on.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 AM
aklowrider
Intermediate

OK. Total brain fart at end. The Ignition Switch **** was seated properly and lugs lined up properly, but the Ignition Switch **** was too deep. Now, pay attention, it was too deep. In the process of fiddling with the ignition for hours I removed the spring from under the switch. It kept falling out and was a pain in the *** to keep inserting under the switch time after time. Once I replaced the spring under the switch, the switch amazed in Fork Lock mode when switch was in that made. The switch spring raises height of Ignition Switch **** so all the lugs align vertically and horizontally. I'm pretty sure others have made same mistake,since while trying to align switch with lugs, the Switch Spring only gets in the way.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by aklowrider
OK. Total brain fart at end. The Ignition Switch **** was seated properly and lugs lined up properly, but the Ignition Switch **** was too deep. Now, pay attention, it was too deep. In the process of fiddling with the ignition for hours I removed the spring from under the switch. It kept falling out and was a pain in the *** to keep inserting under the switch time after time. Once I replaced the spring under the switch, the switch amazed in Fork Lock mode when switch was in that made. The switch spring raises height of Ignition Switch **** so all the lugs align vertically and horizontally. I'm pretty sure others have made same mistake,since while trying to align switch with lugs, the Switch Spring only gets in the way.
Others have done it for sure. Like I said earlier, it just takes fiddling with it. Glad you got it worked out.

aklowrider (04-12-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 02:36 AM
aklowrider
Intermediate

Okay, solved steady Chirping. It wasn't security system. The steady chirp was from the Boom box radio. If you work on electrical on 2015/2016 FLTR/FLTRXS, pull the 50 amp main fuse with the Ignition Switch **** in Ignition "ON" mode. DO NOT pull 50 amp main fuse with ignition off. It f***s up your electronics. Simple fix - my radio needed reprogramming to stop chirping, plus dealer added software program update, all at no charge. I can't believe no one else has not made that mistake. Every other bike I've owned, you pull the main fuse with engine off. If you read fine print in service manual, it tells you that!