The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: High MAP at idle - fixed by Power Vision support

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Well said UltraNutZ

The worst thing about the Internet (he said with 30 odd years in IT) is this stupid and growing expectation that everything is free.

Even nephews turn into mercenaries when they realise there is some pocket money in it

Old 05-04-2016, 12:46 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

amen Gordon61. Only thing free about my time is the 45 seconds it takes me to tell you to take it down the road.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:08 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Steve caught a ban? Hopefully it's just temporary
I couldn't agree more. It was nice to have him posting on here, answering questions. I haven't seen anyone from DynoJet or Harley on here answering questions about their EFI tuners.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:35 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Steve caught a ban? Hopefully it's just temporary
Steve Cole was asked by me to come back and be a guest of the new Dyno Room. I also heard he was signing up to sponsor this forum. There was a snag with that and his account was deactivated until this has been resolved.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Steve Cole was asked by me to come back and be a guest of the new Dyno Room. I also heard he was signing up to sponsor this forum. There was a snag with that and his account was deactivated until this has been resolved.

Good news! Steve is an asset to the forum, hopefully if they get this resolved people can get over personal issues and do what's best for the community. Thanks for the update Wizard.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
hopefully if they get this resolved people can get over personal issues and do what's best for the community.
No kidding.. all these "feelings"

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 05-06-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:45 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by oleboy
I haven't seen anyone from DynoJet or Harley on here answering questions about their EFI tuners.

if you've ever called the DJ tech line and received all that wonderful help from them, you'd understand why we don't want them here answering questions about their EFI tuners.

Your best source of information for DJ products is a vendor here. DAMN! did I just say that?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Scooterbear
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I guess we're left to wonder whether our high idle map is due to the cam characteristics, or the inability to make the change ourselves?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:46 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
Good news! Steve is an asset to the forum, hopefully if they get this resolved people can get over personal issues and do what's best for the community. Thanks for the update Wizard.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:59 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterbear
So I guess we're left to wonder whether our high idle map is due to the cam characteristics, or the inability to make the change ourselves?
In ref to the question and hopefully keeping this thread OT, this is what I got back from Dynojet on technical aspects of settings. I also spoke with Jamie @ FM and his comments were similar, and not biased on any particular tuner product. basically just discussing operation principal in general which all of the tuner products need to work with equally.

PowerVision does not allow the end user to change settings related to cam events, you must contact DJ support or a tuning center that has a copy of the WinPV software that has access to the settings. TTS does allow user to change settings in its own way. FP3 allows this in its own way as well.

(Dynojet info): "As was explained to me, the intake vacuum varies greatly from moment to moment on a running V-twin. If we want an accurate Map reading, we need to read the Map sensor at the correct time. Harley uses the crank sensor for this purpose, so start reading Map on this crank tooth, stop reading Map on this tooth. The pressure during that start-stop interval is our Map reading. If you change the cams, and the valves open and close at different times from the stock cams, you may have to adjust which crank tooth you start and stop reading the Map sensor. Because fuel and ignition timing are adjusted based on this Map reading, it is critical you have a correct reading. If this is wrong, it may be impossible to tune the engine correctly."

High Map at idle could be an indication of incorrect crank tooth / map read settings in the tune file, or, it could also be due to other factors like timing, VE and CDE settings. I can take my same tune file, change the CDE table numbers in the idle rpm area, and watch my idle map go up to mid 40's from mid 30's. So there are other variables at play here to getting the tune right, but as long as you know the crank tooth / map read settings are generally correct in the tune file for your cams, you can tune the rest of it from there and get it right.

The idle Map kpa number itself you're seeing may or may not be fine for the particular set of cams installed. it really depends how the bike runs and how the logged data looks after a run. some guys I've exchanged info with that have well tuned bikes idle in the upper 40's, some in the mid 30's. the number itself is not significant. sure over 50kpa could mean something is up. it depends.

Now that I have everything tuned in with the 57h cams, 50mm throttle body and 4.89 injectors, my idle Map at 904-910 rpm is 38 cold and 35 hot. thing pulls like a beast now. After a couple of TargetTune auto tune runs today my WB02s are tracking the lambda table values very close.

(edit) This is how it's running as of the other day, and was before the target tune auto tuning, VEs are just generally close but on the richer side. still finishing up fine tuning but could just leave it as is.
LA_Dog 2013 HD Breakout tuning - idle and revvs after cams, throttlebody, injectors upgrade - YouTube

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ

if you've ever called the DJ tech line and received all that wonderful help from them, you'd understand why we don't want them here answering questions about their EFI tuners.

Your best source of information for DJ products is a vendor here. DAMN! did I just say that?
Unfortunately you are not far off with that comment. Although in all fairness, DJ has indeed been directly helpful to a lot of PV owners, myself included. Other times not so much and I hope they improve on that end as the product itself does work very well. Let's not overlook the actual title and topic of this thread.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-08-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: High MAP at idle - fixed by Power Vision support