Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Optimum AFR

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:51 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Then just drive it around town. Get on and off a few entrance ramps onto the highway. Lots of different things. Locking the throttle a 60 MPH for thirty min is of very limited use.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by DDH
The twisties are about 100 miles away, no problem but not sure its 45 minutes worth maybe turn around and head back.

Before I do anything I need to have a possible intake leak taken care of. I would do it myself but I have very little confidence in me doing it. In fact I was the one who installed the t/b after HPI rebuilt it. Not crazy about paying the dealership to do it but if I do it I have no idea if I can tell when I tighten the bolts if I did it correctly. Will have start it to see.
I recommend getting all mechanical issues addressed first (like the potential intake leak). Collecting data is poor advice if you have an issue unrelated to the tune. An intake leak will show lean in areas so data collection will just want to throw fuel at it and not a dress the actual problem. Same with auto tuners in general, they will tune around and mask problems. I never get the theory behind advising people to ride a bike, that is having issues,
Around for extended periods of time just to gather data.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:18 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

With a speed density tune, a slight intake air leak will have very little effect on the midrange drivability. At idle, things are somewhat different. A little extra (say 1%) thru a gasket leak is the same as slightly more open throttle.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:02 PM
DDH
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a two minute idle log a couple weeks back. Jamie said it looked like my front cylinder was very rich and the rear was lean which corrected when it went into closed loop. He suggested I look at the IAC or intake leak. I switched out the IAC with the one in my "07 Deuce, no change even put the SG IAC in the Deuce no change in the Deuce. That is why I need to check for an intake leak, which I did but want it confirmed by someone who know what their doing.

After I get that straightened out I will do 45 min log.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:31 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DDH
The twisties are about 100 miles away, no problem but not sure its 45 minutes worth maybe turn around and head back.

Before I do anything I need to have a possible intake leak taken care of. I would do it myself but I have very little confidence in me doing it. In fact I was the one who installed the t/b after HPI rebuilt it. Not crazy about paying the dealership to do it but if I do it I have no idea if I can tell when I tighten the bolts if I did it correctly. Will have start it to see.

I don't know what part of Oregon you live in But I lived in Salem Oregon for 46 years and there is 100's of miles of twisty roads.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:09 PM
DDH
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree totally. I live in Redmond but if you want a lot of twisties, like 45 minutes, I'm thinking on the way to the John Day fossil beds or between Antelope and Fossil.