Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Active Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:09 AM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Active Exhaust

Which is the straight through position ?

And in fact, what does it really do and how ? I can't find any good drawings anywhere ?

Thanks

Dave

Old 05-02-2016, 07:36 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

I see your from the UK,, I am from Australia,, we , (international models ), have the Active Exhaust Valve thingy ... Its part of the EPA noise rules etc ,,,
The easy fix, if you dont like it, is, go to dealer, and with there workshop computer , they can disable it in the open position..
If you go with aftermarket pipes in the future, (ie, no active exhaust valve), all you do is zip tie the cable that goes to the active exhaust valve ,(which was disabled by dealer), somewhere safe and out of the way... Hope this helps ....

Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser

Thanks for the insight Mark. I can turn it off with PV, however being me I need answers to all the above questions.

Thanks

Dave

Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Cawley
Thanks for the insight Mark. I can turn it off with PV, however being me I need answers to all the above questions.

Thanks

Dave
It's like the throttle butterfly, and is open in the Idle picture above. No power and the spring keeps it shut.

If you look in the PV tables you will see some duty cycle tables for how much or when it is open or partially open ...not sure, mine is permanently shut, it being in a box cos I have a full 2-1

Old 05-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser
Lightbulb

Thanks Gordon, So does it divert both cylinders to one silencer/muffler ? In which case the noise reduction might only be 3dB ? And with open pies not much at all ??

Last edited by Dave Cawley; 05-02-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Cawley
Thanks Gordon, So does it divert both cylinders to one silencer/muffler ? In which case the noise reduction might only be 3dB ? And with open pies not much at all ??
Divert is maybe not the right word, on the Fatboy it basically blocks the rear cylinder muffler, forcing most of its exhaust over the cross over pipe to the other muffler.

The exact dynamics of the air flow I don't know but I doubt if it would half the sound ...you still have two cylinders pushing out exhaust gasses.

I would expect an increase in back pressure when it is active (closed) so it may improve torque at lower revs but I've never actually watched it or worked out when it shuts and opens.

When I did my stage 1 and replaced the mufflers (and built in cats) for V&H slip-ons, I tried the active exhaust on and off and don't actually remember much of a difference ...but that was just me mind.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser

Well, my take would be, that there would be less freedom as one muffler was out of the equation, so less free flow and hence 3dB tops. However if both pipes were all but open anyway, the the added restriction would be even less and the difference probably not noticeable ?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

These pics of the Active Exhaust Valve may be of interest to you... Showing flapper open and shut.. The reason I have pictures of the AEV, is the weld on the header pipe cracked where the AEV connected ,, so I decided to remove the AEV altogether, and replace with pipe to suit header pipe length... While I had the header pipe removed, it was also an excuse to remove the cat in the header pipe, (on 2009 flht Electra Glide)... End result,, no Active Exhaust Valve,, no cat ,, = (In my opinion),, better sounding exhaust, and cooler bike...

Attached Thumbnails Active Exhaust-2-aev.jpg   Active Exhaust-3-aev.jpg   Active Exhaust-4-aev.jpg  
Old 05-03-2016, 01:42 AM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser

Hi Mark, that shows it well !!

Many thanks

Dave

Old 01-20-2017, 11:38 AM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Is this on all HD models Don't remember seeing this when I switched to dresser duals and monster ovals on my 2013 FLTRU

Quick Reply: Active Exhaust