Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help! Front left signal out, back left blinks normal then fast

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:20 PM
bliss
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Front left signal out, back left blinks normal then fast

Just bought my harley sportster custom 2007 and realized that the front left signal is out. They're aftermarket bulb blinkers. I checked the bulb and its one filament seems to be good. There was some corrosion (white dusty stuff over rust) that I cleaned off to make sure it was making a proper connection, but that didn't help.

Wondering if anyone would have insight at what could be going wrong/what to check.

Thanks all!
-Bliss

Old 05-02-2016, 01:27 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Switch the right bulb to the left and see if it works.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:59 PM
bliss
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, just tried your suggestion and both bulbs work fine. So it must be either the left housing or fuses or something else? I don't know a whole lot about this.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:20 PM
bliss
Intermediate

Bring Up My Post!
Can anyone help?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:52 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

It sounds like you have a wire break somewhere. It should be obvious when you go to trace it because if it was hidden it probably would be touching something and therefore pop the fuse and none of them would work. Unless it's the ground. But just start at the light and work your way back. Anywhere there is electrical tape, remove it and take a look. I say all this assuming when you say aftermarket bulbs, you mean aftermarket turn signal assemblies...

Old 05-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

If your headlamp is working then the problem is in between your main wiring harness and the turn signal. You can lift the tank, disconnect the turn signal from the main wiring harness, and check for continuity between the pins on the wire from the turn signal. If there is no continuity, remove the bulb, then check for continuity between the bulb contact points and the pins on the turn signal connector. That step just tells you which wire is bad and may not help much though. If you can't get continuity through them both, inspect the wire and you may have to take the housing apart to make sure you are making contact from the wires to the bulb terminals.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

One more thing to check. Take a look at the relationship of the pins to the bayonet channels on the reflectors. I once had the spring loaded contact pad rotate out of position. No idea how it happened, but when I went in with a multimeter to test I noticed it looked "different" from the side that worked. Got a hemostat, rotated it and it popped back into place and the world was once again a happy place...

Edit: Oh boy, did I read that it's a single filament bulb? If so then disregard what I wrote. Sorry.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:16 AM
bliss
Intermediate

You guys were right! Found out that it was a wire that came loose. I feel silly. Some heat shrink tubing and it's good as new. Thanks for all the replies!