Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dtc p0134 and p0154

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 05:31 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Dtc p0134 and p0154

Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 FLTHK. Recently, while riding a mix of highway and local, the Engine Light will come on somewhere after 20-25 miles of the ride. I checked the codes and got DTC P0134 and P0154.

Electric diagnostic manual says its "Front O2 sensor open/not responding/high" and "Rear O2 sensor open/not responding/high"

When I shut the bike down and start it back up, light is gone and I can ride again for sometime without the light. It does ultimately come on again. I don't notice any performance issues.

Now, normally I'd think a sensor went bad, however for both to go bad at once? I checked the plugs, both are in securely. Sensors appear to be securely in place on the exhaust. Wires are in apparently good condition.

Any ideas?

Last edited by mglax13; 05-12-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:17 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

I looked up those codes and read the Diagnostic tips and it says the HO2S will not illuminate the check engine light.

Maybe something else is going on too?

The first tip is to check the connectors and see if a pin has backed out or is making poor connection with the mate or wire. I believe alcohol is recommended to clean the terminals then put a bit of dielectric grease on them to keep moisture out and corrosion from forming. So I'd check the sensor connectors and ECM first.

One other thing the 2010 EDM said "these codes are set when the circuit is open or sensor is too cold to respond. Excessive oil usage may cause these codes to set."

It may be a good idea to pull the sensors and take a look at their condition.

Good Luck
Bill

The following users liked this post:
mglax13 (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:51 AM
mglax13
Road Master

Thanks Vernal. I didn't mention that I had another DTC for a brake switch issue. I corrected that condition, perhaps that's what was resulting in the light. My 2013 EDM didn't mention that in the diagnostic tips, that would have been nice to know, thank you for pointing that out. Connections all looked good, but I'll pull them and check their condition. I have noticed that the fuel mileage isn't great, so maybe this is contributing to that issue as well.

Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 PM
mglax13
Road Master

Now, when they say "excessive oil usage", do they mean it's burning/consuming excessive amounts of oil? Or that there's too much oil in the oil tank?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Burning oil and the extra carbon would foul the O2 Sensor like it would a spark plug.
Do you have to add oil between oil changes?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 PM
mglax13
Road Master

Ahh, gotcha

I just bought the bike in December, it's a 2013, had only 1,400 miles on it. Oil was at the right level when I got the bike. Haven't ridden it much with the winter, then being layed up with a broken foot for the last 2 months. I've put about 1,000 miles on it since I got it. I haven't checked the oil again yet. I'll have to do that. No parking for it where I live, it's parked about 15 minutes away, I'm going to have to go and give this all a look when I get back to the bike tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:24 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Default Dtc p0134 and p0154

So I checked the wires and plugs today, all look good. Took the sensors out and they were black and covered in soot. Picture is below.

As far as burning oil, like I mentioned, I bought the bike with 1,400 miles. 1k service was done by the dealership o had bought it from before it was put on the floor. I checked the oil when I bought it and it was actually even a little high while hot. I put another 1k on the clock, (2,500 total) and the oil level while hot hasn't changed, so I honestly don't think its burning oil, but with the sensors so dirty, maybe its running rich? Although that should throw a different code. Ill have to check the plugs and see how they look. The fuel mileage isn't great so that maybe points a little bit towards running rich?

I sprayed some MAF cleaner on them and cleaned them up good, cleared the codes, now lets see.

Also, forgot to mention my setup if it matters. 103, Rinehart 2 into 1, Woods TW555 cams, Ness Big Sucker, SESPT and dyno tuned by one of the best on Long Island (Rosa's cycles)

Last edited by mglax13; 05-14-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 AM
mglax13
Road Master

Bumping this up with one last question:

So my fuel mileage sucks, I get about 26MPG riding all highway, keeping the cruising at 2,250-2,500 RPM. Could this be a result of my O2 sensors not working properly?

At this point, should I spend the $100 and buy 2 new sensors? Or is this a bigger or different issue?

Old 05-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Vernal
Club Member

Did the codes come back? What tuner are you running? Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them, Cleaned the air cleaner, checked plug wires, check tire pressure, oil levels .... the list goes on and on. Do you have a service manual?
That is terrible mileage.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:45 AM
mglax13
Road Master

The codes came back. It was tuned on a Dyno using SESPT by a well reputed shop in the area. I pulled the plugs and looked at them. They have a tan, powdery coating, seems like the A/F mixture is good. Air filter is brand new, tire pressure is spot on, plug wires are good, oil pressure is good.

I do have a service manual. I did some reading and the only conclusion I can come to is that these sensors might have crapped out somehow. The other thing I thought of doing is taking the bike back to the guys who did the tuning and see if they can give me any insight on the tune they did on it. It was done when the previous owner owned the bike.

But I'm not well versed in some of this stuff, I only know what I've learned on the internet so I was looking for some insight on what the next step would be, and if maybe changing the sensors is a good idea.

I do very much appreciate the help you're giving me, thank you!

Quick Reply: Dtc p0134 and p0154