Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thinking of changing my afr from 14.0 to 13.8 to run cooler, will it help?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ubreal
What's wrong with you people, I ask one question and it became a pissing match between some people.
Because there are some posters that actually know what they are talking about and some that don't really have a clue.

All I wanted to know, is it a waste of time to change my map to cool my motor down. One more time, my VE tables were dyno tune they are very closed to what they should be. Will changing my AFR or Lambda (in my book they are the same thing) from 14. To 13.8 or if you use the Lambda values .959 to .940 will this cool my engine down or is it a waste of time.
It may help a bit but I have seen "better" results with timing adjustments.

The following users liked this post:
ubreal (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 AM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks let me see if I remember how this works, advance timing will make the bike run hotter, retard the timing will run cooler? am I right?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

As far as the OP a true change that small will have very little effect. If you fall off the O2 valid range cliff, there may be a big (bad effect).

Andy

ubreal (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 10:53 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Thanks let me see if I remember how this works, advance timing will make the bike run hotter, retard the timing will run cooler? am I right?

Not really. Too advanced or retarded can cause heat. With too much advance detonation can happen. Too retarded and preignition can be caused. I would suggest adding a couple of degrees and seeing how that helps with engine temps, and pay attention to knock activity. Might have to add up to 6-8 points and let ECM pull timing. Then pull half of what it did in the calibration. Recheck.

I apologize for hijacking your thread. I got caught up once again. I would just hate for the BS, misinformation to gain legs and guys think it is worth anything.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Hardtail / Doc thanks for posting some really valuable info. Along the lines of this thread, the stoich factor seems to play a large role in where the afr is. With pump gas, 93 octane, in many areas is up to 10% ethanol, with no real set number, is it better use a higher stoich to begin with? With lambda say .977, does the afr really matter other than fuel mileage and maybe a little cooler engine? For a stage one, what lambda in your opinion gives you the best overall performance? Just curious.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

songs good, thanks, the timing seems to be the way to go

Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

songs good, thanks, the timing seems to be the way to go
If you are using the TTS Master Tune I would NOT do a timing change, these timing tables are already very aggressive....too much more will put you over the top. If you have the Pro Tuner then you have a lot of room to add some timing to cool it down as Jason said, however after you make a timing change with that tuner go back and open the map from the VCI, you might see the timing you entered in the new map did not take......just check it and see if your change actually went in the ECM. The Pro Tuner has been known to trick you here, Harley don't want you people to change timing among other tables that don't work with that device.
Running 13.8 afr from 14.2 will definitely cool your bike down and personally I would do it that way....it's MUCH safer.
I quit posting on this subject because of the BS that comes out of some peoples minds that don't have a clue how to tune a bike and makes a living arguing with a STOP SIGNS.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:59 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmitz
Hardtail / Doc thanks for posting some really valuable info. Along the lines of this thread, the stoich factor seems to play a large role in where the afr is. With pump gas, 93 octane, in many areas is up to 10% ethanol, with no real set number, is it better use a higher stoich to begin with? With lambda say .977, does the afr really matter other than fuel mileage and maybe a little cooler engine? For a stage one, what lambda in your opinion gives you the best overall performance? Just curious.
When I'm finished synchronizing the VE Tables with a Lambda value of .977 (14.34 afr) I return my Lambda table back to the original setting. I do make a few changes in the 90, 95, 100 kPa columns because I personally think this area of the map is too rich.....I lean it out sightly.....but this is my decision, it is not necessary.
Nothing is going to happen to this motor running leaner mixture in a NO load area, as the load increases the fuel gets richer and the stock setting does this transaction very well.
Yes milage will be effected but adding fuel will cool the engine down without a doubt.
Doc

Old 05-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks Doc.

Doc 1 (05-18-2016)