Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2005 Fatboy sudden problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:12 AM
NomoreNomad
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Fatboy sudden problem

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Picked up my first HD last summer, 2005 Fatboy, (Fuel Injected) been awesome so far....till yesterday!

Started and stopped the bike several times yesterday, stopped at a friends place for 20 minutes and when I went to leave the ignition rolls the bike over but wouldn't start. The last start up prior was 25 minutes earlier when I fueled up. Not knowing what to try I started by checking fuses, they all looked good. Being that I was at my buddy's place, we swapped out start relay from his bike, made no difference. When I turn the ignition switch I hear the pump cycle, pulled one spark plug and it has spark and was dry. I armed the security system and disarmed it to make sure that wasn't the issue, I have made sure the run switch was in the correct position. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes in case it could reset the computer.....just not sure what to check next.

Welcome any suggestions of things to try.

Thanks,

Old 05-24-2016, 11:30 AM
NomoreNomad
Stage III

I should also mention, The battery was weak when I went to start it originally, boosted it to get it going but after an hour run seemed fine......when it would not start it would not go with a boost either. Could it be just a new battery to fix the issue?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Start with the battery. If it's the original one it's time for a new one. But take it out and get it load tested.
When you put the battery back check that the ground connections are clean and snug.

The following users liked this post:
NomoreNomad (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 03:11 PM
NomoreNomad
Stage III

Thanks for your reply Nevil, unfortunately the battery change didn't do it. I looked at some other threads and figured out how to extract the codes the bike is giving. Looks like its pointing towards a voltage regulator but seeing I actually had 4 codes in all I decided the best thing was to get it into the dealer. I will return here once I get it back for a follow up post.

Thanks again,

NoMoreNomad