Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Check Engine lamp persists - Code P0113, Delphi EFI system...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 08:54 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check Engine lamp persists - Code P0113, Delphi EFI system...

DTC Code (P0113) started cropping up last summer on my 2005 88CI FLH W/ Delphi EFI - Check engine lamp illuminates about 6 seconds after turning on ignition and it stays lit.

Last May my dealership diagnosed it and said it's a faulty IAC Module - so I ordered the module and while I was waiting researched P0113 and it clearly points to a faulty sensor or broken wire - I ordered and installed a new IAT Sensor after checking the entire circuit/harness using a my meter, and even replaced the 'System Relay' to no affect.

So the new IAC Module arrives and I think that I'm just a dumb *** wasting my time and should have trusted the initial diagnosis in the first place, however after installing the IAC Module guess what? the error still persists!!!

Well then, the ECM has to be faulty right? so I swap it out to another 88ci/Delphi EFI system and clear the code successfully using steps outlined - reinstall it and fired up the ignition, wait the 6 seconds in anticipation of success and guess what, lamp still wants to be on... My last step was to replace the MAP sensor too, so the entire intake manifold has been basically restored.

Bike runs great but the check engine light gets more annoying every day - might just cover it up with some tape :-[

Any ideas or experience out there with this or a similar issue??? Need input please.

Last edited by johnnythrottle; 07-14-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:40 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

bump bump

Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Here are a few pages from the 2004 ED Manual. Check your connectors and make sur all of the pins and sockets are in place and none have backed out, clean with a little rubbing alcohol?
Good luck
Bill

The following users liked this post:
johnnythrottle (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Have you tried ohming out the wires? One easy is to tug on the wires at the sensor and see if they come loose.. If the copper is good, the wire will go tight.. If it feels like a stuff rubber band, it's likely broke inside and the only thing holding the wire in place is the insulation.

The following users liked this post:
johnnythrottle (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 08:14 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

Where can I get a copy of that ED manual?

Thanks Vernal and Bwoltz for your input :-)

btw Bwoltz, what is that machine you have pictured above?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:30 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

You can get the manual from your dealer or order it online;

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline....anual-99497-05
or get a used one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...JXVz7w&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Vernal; 07-15-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnythrottle
Where can I get a copy of that ED manual?

Thanks Vernal and Bwoltz for your input :-)

btw Bwoltz, what is that machine you have pictured above?
This is OT but since you are the OP..

The bike is a kit bike that was sold by Custom Chrome circa 2003-2005.. They originally came with a RevTech 110 ci motor but later they were sold without. I bought the last kit they had and installed a 99-06 twincam bagger motor / tranny / primary. It has carbon fiber fenders, Paioli forks and Marchesini wheels, frame was built by Santee and the body work done by someone in Germany..

Old 07-16-2016, 07:37 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vernal
You can get the manual from your dealer or order it online...
Wow, a brand new edition runs over $90.00 - I might consider it though :-)

I'm inclined to think that the error code is erroneous only cause the ET, TP, MAP and IAT sensors share the same 5V ground.

I've checked continuity on wires running between ECM and IAT sensor and have no faults. I think my next step is to swap out the TPS and Engine Temp sensor.

I don't believe that the harness could be the issue considering this bike has only 15,000 Miles on it.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Don't rely on just a continuity check. As recommended above, pull on each wire. The wires will separate internally -- normally near the sensor. The insulation my feel like its narrow where the internal failure is. A pull test normally will pull the insulation apart where the fault is.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:54 AM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

So I swapped out the TPS and did a tug test on IAT sensor wires as recommended = tight and firm.

Power to IAT sensor = 5.05 VDC - initially it was 5.75 before swapping out the System Relay. I'm wondering where the battery voltage to ECM is regulated exactly? Would it be prudent to swap out the battery maybe?

Quick Reply: Check Engine lamp persists - Code P0113, Delphi EFI system...