Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Mystery problem with 98 Roadking solved

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:21 AM
RKJohn
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery problem with 98 Roadking solved

I have a stock 1998 RK Police Ive owned for 10 years that has run like a swiss watch.
It developed a very strange problem.

Gearing down for a turn into a street or driveway, the engine would speed up and if you didn't pull the clutch in, you would overshoot the turn. Almost like the throttle was sticking. When I would blip the throttle, there was no fuel there. Engine would cut off if you didn't let go of the throttle.
This problem only happened once in a blue moon but got worse as time went by.
No trouble codes stored.
I checked things out but couldn't find anything wrong or in need of service.

I talked with several Harley gurus and they didn't remember seeing that in the older bikes like mine.

A super sharp tech at Tilley Harley in Statesville nc (Scott C) took the time to talk with me about it and we decided to replace the throttle position sensor just to rule it out of the diagnosis.
Sum-bitch if it didn't fix it.
Apparently it had been problematic all along because the bike has had warm up issues with the engine speeds all over the place. Fixed that too

My hats off to Tilley Harley. They were friendly, didn't blow me off and gave me a number to call in case the problem came back.

80 thousand miles will apparently wear out the TPS and cause problems that don't always set a trouble code.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:24 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Thanks for posting this info on here. You will help someone with this post sometime in the future, though they may never thank or acknowledge that you did.

Man I love this site.