Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

My new FXSTDI has a carb!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:17 PM
BombshellZ
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can you give me quick run down on ideal conditions?

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
It depends on what area it lean. The air fuel adjustment screw adjust the mixture at idle. Light throttle is adjusted with the pilot jet (or needle position, depending on the carb) and then there is the main jet that is for higher demands. If the bike idles nice with the choke (or enrichener) off I would say the a/f screw is close. More than likely it would be in the pilot or needle position. Just because they are colored now doesn't mean it's currently not right, the discolor could be from a previous tune.
The bike only had 1300 miles when i got it, I pray that it was broken in properly that being said. It's a Super E, I did basic set up. Have done some adjusting but I know its not completely right. How long should I leave choke on? I only did for 30 seconds then when I turn off it still needs a little help to stay running. Would I adjust mixture? Which way? What Idle should it be warmed up. Sometimes a little pop in deceleration depending on speed and I'm not getting all the throttle response I have before messing with it. Kinda goes flat in first too soon, like the RPMs are high without the speed. I think I prefer the torque than the RPMS. i'm still learning the lingo but loving the ride.

I also managed to install the tach and it works! Yeah! I was hoping it would be more help in tuning. So what speed and RPMS should I want to be at in each gear and how what should I adjust accordingly? I wish I had paid attention to which jets were in the carb when I cleaned it and changed float. As a rider I like full throttle response. Fast and hard. It seems like i need to naturally switch gears too soon. Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BombshellZ
The bike only had 1300 miles when i got it, I pray that it was broken in properly that being said. It's a Super E, I did basic set up. Have done some adjusting but I know its not completely right. How long should I leave choke on? I only did for 30 seconds then when I turn off it still needs a little help to stay running. Would I adjust mixture? Which way? What Idle should it be warmed up. Sometimes a little pop in deceleration depending on speed and I'm not getting all the throttle response I have before messing with it. Kinda goes flat in first too soon, like the RPMs are high without the speed. I think I prefer the torque than the RPMS. i'm still learning the lingo but loving the ride.

I also managed to install the tach and it works! Yeah! I was hoping it would be more help in tuning. So what speed and RPMS should I want to be at in each gear and how what should I adjust accordingly? I wish I had paid attention to which jets were in the carb when I cleaned it and changed float. As a rider I like full throttle response. Fast and hard. It seems like i need to naturally switch gears too soon. Thanks for your help in advance.
When you get back from a ride and the bikes completely warmed up is when you adjust your A/F mixture, 30 seconds isn't long enough on a bike that's been sitting.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Idle when at operating temp should be 900-1,000rpm. Peak rpm in each gear for a stock engine is around 5,500rpm (I've forgotten - bike much modified!). You should find around 4,000rpm is adequate for most situations.

Find yourself a local shop to get the carb tuned - it will take seconds, compared with tweaking it yourself. A dyno tune is a jolly good investment IMHO.

The following users liked this post:
BombshellZ (08-24-2016)