Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

My new FXSTDI has a carb!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:19 PM
BombshellZ
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My new FXSTDI has a carb!

Just bought this beauty

2001 FXSTDI

Yes that's a carb. Want to install tach and the manuals I read are not what it is. The pink wire I would wire the tach to under the seat is spliced to a green and going up through frame, maybe speedo. Don't know yet. I have none of the typical displays (Oil pressure, fuel gauge, etc). Has anyone done this mod and have a wiring diagram they can give me to help?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

That bike doesn't have any resemblance to a 2001 Duece.
I believe it is a custom bike not a production bike.
If it started life as a Duece (FXSTD-I) there doesn't look as though there are any Duece parts left.
Bob

Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM
BombshellZ
Intermediate

I'ts a Deuce alright. $40,000 build for celeb. Engine and frame match, registered as HD.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:30 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

ok, it's registered as a Duece...because when it was built it came out from the MOCO as a Duece..
That said, that's where term or name "Duece" or "FXSTD-I" ended and "custom" bike became the reality.
I'm sure the builder Removed the EFI because there's less parts with a carb to try to hide on a custom.
Anyway just a guess,
Bob

The following users liked this post:
BombshellZ (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

You may want to check the tune, by looking at the exhaust is sure does look like it was running pretty lean at one point, hopefully not currently. Or it could be bad chrome

BombshellZ (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 AM
BombshellZ
Intermediate
Default Agreed on Leaness

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
You may want to check the tune, by looking at the exhaust is sure does look like it was running pretty lean at one point, hopefully not currently. Or it could be bad chrome
Thank you for response, I've been trying to adjust correctly since I got it. Amazing how many people say they like the color of pipes. I know its an indication regarding lean. Do I just twist the mixture **** on carb? It's a S&S Shorty Super E and the pipes are WCC Hell Bent. I've also recently posted a thread regarding gas coming out of exhaust in Softails forum. Not one response yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BombshellZ
Thank you for response, I've been trying to adjust correctly since I got it. Amazing how many people say they like the color of pipes. I know its an indication regarding lean. Do I just twist the mixture **** on carb? It's a S&S Shorty Super E and the pipes are WCC Hell Bent. I've also recently posted a thread regarding gas coming out of exhaust in Softails forum. Not one response yet. Any help would be appreciated.

It depends on what area it lean. The air fuel adjustment screw adjust the mixture at idle. Light throttle is adjusted with the pilot jet (or needle position, depending on the carb) and then there is the main jet that is for higher demands. If the bike idles nice with the choke (or enrichener) off I would say the a/f screw is close. More than likely it would be in the pilot or needle position. Just because they are colored now doesn't mean it's currently not right, the discolor could be from a previous tune.

BombshellZ (08-22-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 11:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Lovely bike, however I'm inclined to recommend you find a local indy to tune it. IMHO those pipes may make doing so a challenge, which as a newcomer to tuning you may find frustrating. That may also be a quickest way of installing your tach. I would be surprised if your wiring is anywhere close to stock, so you may have to trace it to create a wiring diagram for your bike from scratch!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by BombshellZ
I'ts a Deuce alright. $40,000 build for celeb. Engine and frame match, registered as HD.
Was wondering about that. Doesn't look like a stock frame. Did they stretch and rake the stock frame or graft a stock neck on a custom frame?

Last edited by Hey Man; 08-07-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:00 PM
BombshellZ
Intermediate
Default Raked the stock frame.

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Was wondering about that. Doesn't look like a stock frame. Did they stretch and rake the stock frame or graft a stock neck on a custom frame?
44 now with Pat Kennedy adjustable front end. Amazingly balanced. Little less with more air , lifting rear so i keep it slammed.

Quick Reply: My new FXSTDI has a carb!