Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Few Questions same topic, Fuel related...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:24 PM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Few Questions same topic, Fuel related...

Bought this bike about a month ago, serviced early this year.
Picked it up with 4,453 miles. one owner, 67 years old no mods (to the bike that is )

Had an issue with the title, so I couldn't register it until this past monday.
Bike has been running fine, put 230 miles on it so far. It has plenty of power both on the highway and off. I haven't ridden a Harley since I sold my old FB about 13 years ago, so it is hard for me to compare based on memory.

The bike seems to run hot, though it has been hot here in NJ. No hesitation under acceleration but at low rpm's the bike has a hard time running smooth and it sort of bucks and sputters a bit. even when it seems to run hot, it feels like it has lots of power.
Some one had suggested the bike may be running lean based on a blueish yellow spot at the neck of the front cylinder header pipe.
So I took the spark plugs out this morning to do a quick inspection and I didn't like what I found.

The rear plug seems ok, but the front plug was wet (fuel) The stock air filter seems to be wet with oil or fuel, not sure, but both the cover and the plastic mounting assembly are bone dry.

I ordered a Dynojet Power Commander V and should have it here Monday, also an oil deep stick temp gauge to monitor temperature.
Anyway, I have had bikes in the past but never really did tinker with them.

1. Fort he experienced guys or techs on here, what are your impressions about the plugs?

2. Air filter needs to be replaced, but I am trying to find a stage 1 that works with the stock cover, such as NOS screaming eagle kit. Is the dampness or wetness of the filter normal or related to the wet plug in any bad way?

3. Could the bluing of the header pipe heat shield be related to the above? Some say yellow=lean and blue=rich which which seems to be the case for the front cylinder.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!

BOTTOM OF FILTER

BOTTOM OF FILTER INSIDE

Old 08-20-2016, 10:46 PM
jeeper101
Tourer

Hmmm, 40 views and no replies...
Well, I removed the plugs this afternoon and cleaned the wet one, then switched and went for a 25 mile ride. Came back and took them back out; both dry as a bone.
Put them back in and headed out again, 35 mile mild ride, bike still backfires on deceleration and does a bit of bucking on 1st-3rd gear at low RPMs.
Came home and took the plugs out again, both are bone dry.
I'll keep updating as this goes on. I need to find a good indy nearby...

Old 08-20-2016, 10:59 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

The tuner should take care of your problems

Old 08-20-2016, 10:59 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Certainly looks hot. What year? The wet front plug is a puzzle. Usually, it's the rear that gets hot. Is this the 2000 FLHRCI in your sig?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:18 AM
jeeper101
Tourer

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
The tuner should take care of your problems
That's what I am hoping for.
Originally Posted by QC
Certainly looks hot. What year? The wet front plug is a puzzle. Usually, it's the rear that gets hot. Is this the 2000 FLHRCI in your sig?
Yes, sig bike. Last two runs was dry as a bone. I will replace the plugs with new ones once I install the tuner and see where that goes.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Do a wiggle test on the front injector wire. Some of the early Twinkies had the front wire too short, causing a broken circuit at times.