Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Road King '06 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:02 AM
MoeHD
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King '06 won't crank

Hi folks..
I have a 2006 Road King that's generally in good shape except for minor issues.
After riding it for about 20-30 minutes, the engine started to rev up on its own when idle at the traffic light. A few minutes later, it started to back fire badly as soon as I started moving so I pulled over to check if there are any obvious problems.
I checked the battery and wiring and there was nothing wrong but the bike wouldn't start.
When I turn on the ignition, I can hear the familiar electrical things but when I press the started button there's just a click and nothing happens.
Now sitting in my garage, I checked the battery voltage is fine, the fuses and relays are all good.
I'm not entirely sure but when I was checking the wiring, the spark plug connection seemed a bit loose (could only be my imagination) so I took it out, cleaned it then fixed it back on.
After reading dozens of threads on this forums and others, many people suggested that the issue is often related to a chafed wire (starter related most likely) but I couldn't see any wires chafed or damaged.
My question is, any idea what I could personally do to start it up and drive it to the dealership?
If the issue is related to fuel pump or ECM, is there any temp fix that could be handled by a person who's not all that good in mechanics and lacks specialized tools?
Thanks

Old 08-29-2016, 06:28 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

I think that your issue may be fuel related ..

Old 08-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

It does sound like a fuel issue... How long has gas been sitting in the bike would be my first question. Next you can check the electrical connections both at the ECM and the tuner if equipped with a tuner. Many early model tuners were plagued with wire connection problems over time caused by water. Another issue could be fuel pump and or filter. Fuel filter in the tank should be replaced periodically.

As for the starting trouble, you may want to give your battery condition and charging system a closer look as well. This could be the root of the problem. Could be a trailer queen ride to repair it.

Good luck

Last edited by Taggs; 08-29-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 AM
MoeHD
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys very much.
Turns out it's the battery. 10.4 on the voltmeter. At least now I can charge up the battery and drive over to the mechanic.
Just in case someone with a similar problem comes across this thread, when I fired up the engine before this thing happened, the bike started right up. There was absolutely no indication the battery was drained and it drove normally up to the point when it started acting up.
Thanks again guys.