Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Gas leaking on a 02 softail

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:52 PM
richard 02
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas leaking on a 02 softail

Well I took the bike out for a nice long ride today and when I got it home noticed a gas smell. After some investigating it is leaking right under the tank where the quick realise from the tank hooks up with a line that goes to the motor. Took it apart and fiddled a bit but when bike is off no leak but when I turn the power on lots of gas squirts out right at the connection. Just wondering what I should change and can I do this myself as I live a ways from a dealer. Thanks

Old 09-15-2016, 11:03 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The O-rings have gone bad in the connector. This is something you can do if you can get the O-rings.

The following users liked this post:
richard 02 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 12:16 AM
richard 02
Advanced

Thanks for the info and good to know this might be an easy fix. Now to find the o rings,

Old 09-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Assuming you have the one-fitting quick-release that is threaded into the bottom of the tank...

Here is a link to the correct set of o-rings to do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252334494532...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I believe that the seller is a member here on the forums, and knows these valves well, having worked with them in production in the past.

I just replaced all three o-rings in my '06 Street Bob about a week ago that was doing the same thing--problem totally fixed. I ordered another set for the next guy who comes to my shop with the same problem...

A couple of tips for the job:

1. Drain the tank first. I used some spare 1/4 fuel line and siphoned out the tank from the fill cap, then drained what I could from the upper part of the fuel valve by inserting the male portion into it without the hose that goes to the engine attached. You'll figure that part out easily enough.

2. A common theory is that only the largest o-ring needs to be replaced, and that might work for some folks. It didn't work for me. The two o-rings that seal off the spring valves in either end had degraded to the point that fuel would push through and around them when under pressure. Digging them out of their respective places was like digging out old, hard cheese that was smashed into a sidewalk crack--with a dental pick.

3. With a 7/8 wrench, remove the whole fuel valve from the tank. It will take several revolutions to remove, and some gas will still leak out when it comes out, just catch it with a rag. Note that the in-tank line that feeds the valve will be twisted a few revolutions at first. Let it unwind so that you can see directly into the valve body with the slack that becomes available, and remember to rewind it before re-inserting it into the tank, so that the line isn't twisted when it's all back together.

4. Making sure that you get all of the old o-ring material out, begin re-assembling the valves in both ends of the valve, with the new o-rings. It's a little fiddly, but easy enough to do when you can see into the upper valve body.

All the best,

Shane

The following users liked this post:
richard 02 (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 10:05 PM
richard 02
Advanced

Wow thanks so much for all that info. I just ordered the o rings from ebay. so I should be up and riding soon. Hopefully the weather stays good for a while longer. If we ever run into each other I defiantly owe you a beer mabe 2 or 3 Thanks again Richard

Old 09-18-2016, 03:08 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain

You got it!

I'll look forward to the beer...in the meantime, have fun!

Shane

Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM
The_Outsider
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just orderd some from the link posted above in the comments, will post follow up after i install them. This thread was a big help thank you!

Old 06-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by The_Outsider
Just orderd some from the link posted above in the comments, will post follow up after i install them. This thread was a big help thank you!
Glad to hear you're tackling it!

Looking forward to hearing about the result also.

Shane

Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 PM
The_Outsider
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update, installed all 3 o-rings, 1 on the gas line, 2 inside the quick release. Orderd then from the eBay link above. Day 3 riding no leaks yet. One word of advice, in the quick release is a spring and small "piston" do not attempt to install the upper o-ring with out the piston and spring already in there, they cannot clear the upper o-ring if you install it first. (Spent about 2 hours trying to jam in in there before realizing). Tool kit needed is a dental pic and dental mirror. Good luck to anyone else doing the diy.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain

Nice job!

There's another thread on this subject going right now...it's amazing how common this issue is.

All the best,

Shane

Quick Reply: Gas leaking on a 02 softail