Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 Road King Hard Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:43 AM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Nightrain
The beauty of you having an 07 is that you're ready to smart tune. I had to retro-fit 02 sensors to mine. It's never going to be as good as a full dyno tune, but it'll get you pretty damn close.

06 NT, 95", S&S .510g, V&H 2-2, K&N AC, P&P heads, SEPST
Haha I bet getting those bungs in was a bitch right?? Long story short I had an 02 bung welded into a header (got one from the wrong year, for free) and it was a complete disaster. Damn pipe is a Frankenstein now, replacing it is on my winter to-do list.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:45 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like you'll have a busy winter! Btw I did my starter clutch too, it helped, but the timings where your problem is... I think. At least it was for me.

Last edited by Oz Nightrain; 09-18-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:16 AM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser

Yeah it's a long winter here so I have time.

Thats kind of what I figure too, since it seems to crank just fine, just doesn't want to start right away.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get it sorted

Old 09-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nickthecanuck
Yeah it's a long winter here so I have time. Thats kind of what I figure too, since it seems to crank just fine, just doesn't want to start right away. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get it sorted
Any time, but don't thank me, thank msocko3. He's the one that told me about the timing and where to change it and he was spot on!!!
Hopefully you get it sorted out soon, good luck. Matt.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by nickthecanuck
Hey guys. Looking for some opinions here:

My 07 Road King has been starting hard all year, and the end of last year too if I remember correctly. It's stage 1, tuned by the dealer with a Pro Streer Tuner. Seems as though the problem manifested itself since tuning it but honestly my memory is fuzzy so it may be coincidental.

Anyway, symptoms are, sometimes it'll fire the instant I hit the button, other times it'll turn over, stop cranking, spit smoke out the intake, and then try again, without starting, until I let off and try again, and eventually it goes. Seems arbitrarily based on piston position when it shuts down, I guess? Thought it might be the starter clutch, so changing that will be a winter project.

The wrench in that idea is that during my cross-country trip, while we were at altitude (6000+ feet, around Cody and Yellowstone), my bike started like a dream every single time, no issues the entire time we were in Wyoming. Once we got to lower altitudes it started acting up again.

So I'm wondering, is it possible that the bike is simply too lean on startup? My thought process is basically that the thin air in the mountains caused the bike to run richer (no decel pop either) which made starting easier. Does this make sense? And if so, can the tuner adjust fuel on startup and perhaps solve this issue?

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Appreciate it.
Have you started with the basics - checked battery condition, what voltage it drops to when cranking, checked tight battery connections, etc.

If your bike has an air cleaner and slip on pipes and a STREET tuner, the dealer didn't tune much of anything - that tuner only allows them some adjustability in the non emissions area. You could save your map from the VCI to your computer, then load the Stage 1 off the software. If it's not better, you can always load your old map.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:51 PM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

I have EXACTLY the same issue with my '08 FLSTC. You can see my build below. What I've found is if I turn on the ignition and hit the start button before the pump ends it's cycle the bike fires right up. If you are hearing a grinding kind of noise just before the engine spits out the intake, that would be your starter clutch. Otherwise, you don't have a starter problem. I just finished replacing mine. Probably wore it out trying to start after the fuel pump finished pressurizing. Easy job. And just to be clear on the point, your (our) problem is not the starter or any other component of the ignition system. I've replaced the battery, gone to thicker battery cables, changed the coil, changed the ignition switch, changed the plug wires and changed the plugs. I've even run techron through the tank a few times. Save your money because, although my ride is in A-1 condition now, the starting issue didn't change one bit. My guess is that it is probably something in the tune. At any rate, mine "short" starts just fine so it's really not an issue for me.

Here is what I am describing. This gent had a bad starter sprag clutch.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...BC&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited by AZRenegade; 09-23-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:12 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AZRenegade
I have EXACTLY the same issue with my '08 FLSTC. You can see my build below. What I've found is if I turn on the ignition and hit the start button before the pump ends it's cycle the bike fires right up. If you are hearing a grinding kind of noise just before the engine spits out the intake, that would be your starter clutch. Otherwise, you don't have a starter problem. I just finished replacing mine. Probably wore it out trying to start after the fuel pump finished pressurizing. Easy job. And just to be clear on the point, your (our) problem is not the starter or any other component of the ignition system. I've replaced the battery, gone to thicker battery cables, changed the coil, changed the ignition switch, changed the plug wires and changed the plugs. I've even run techron through the tank a few times. Save your money because, although my ride is in A-1 condition now, the starting issue didn't change one bit. My guess is that it is probably something in the tune. At any rate, mine "short" starts just fine so it's really not an issue for me.

Here is what I am describing. This gent had a bad starter sprag clutch.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...BC&FORM=VRDGAR
Thanks AZRenegade,

I do have my suspicions that it could be the starter clutch, so I'll be replacing that this winter once insurance runs out. But even if that doesn't solve it, I'll be sure to try what you say and start it before the fuel pump finishes priming.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-25-2016, 10:22 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

The starter clutch may be the problem or a result of the real problem. Based on my research, it may also be related to the tune. Read here:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...k-fires-2.html

P.S. Fix My Hog has a real good video on how to replace the starter clutch. Helped me a lot. It's not really a difficult job.

Last edited by AZRenegade; 09-25-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:29 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AZRenegade
The starter clutch may be the problem or a result of the real problem. Based on my research, it may also be related to the tune. Read here:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...k-fires-2.html

P.S. Fix My Hog has a real good video on how to replace the starter clutch. Helped me a lot. It's not really a difficult job.
Yeah I am definitely assuming it's a tuning issue, just based on the problem essentially disappearing when riding at altitude, then becoming problematic again back at/near sea level.

But I am thinking I'll do the starter clutch anyway, as it's a relatively inexpensive part and I can do it myself.

Did you buy an OEM starter clutch or did you go aftermarket? Got any recommendations? Are there more bulletproof parts out there in aftermarket that you've heard of?

Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

The thread AZR mentioned above is the very thread which helped me solve my problem that had exactly the same symptoms as yours. I also think he's exactly right about the starter clutch being ruined from the underlying timing issue. I replaced my starter clutch with another oem one and it's been fine since.
P. S. I've also done the other basics just to make sure - clean & tighten all cables check battery blah blah blah

Quick Reply: 07 Road King Hard Start