Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Multiple fault codes, possibly bad ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Chinwig
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple fault codes, possibly bad ECM?

I have a 07 Softail Night train. Several days ago I was out for a ride and stopped to take a break for a few minutes. When I went to start my bike it just clicked (no power). Positive connection on the battery was loose. I tightened it and the bike started right up but sounded really rough and check engine light came on. I was able to get it home and pull up codes (P0113, P0118 and P0123). After investigation I found where I had apparently contacted the 5v common wire going to the ECM with the wrench when tightening battery cable (there was a tiny bit of copper showing on wire). I have checked all connections to the sensors and found no bad wiring and the sensors seem to read good with ohm meter. My thought is that the ECM got damaged when it got 12v put on its 5v common. Before I spent a bunch of money for a new one I was hoping I could get a second opinion from someone.

Thank you for any help.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Your post is incomplete. Did the problem go away, did you clear the codes?

Old 09-23-2016, 04:31 AM
Chinwig
Stage III

I am still waiting on the module, hopefully I get it today or tomorrow. I will post as soon as I find out if it helps or not.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Chinwig
Stage III

So I got the new ECM, plugged it in. The faults went away, just had a fault for security code that wouldn't let bike start. I went thru the 1/2 hour process to reconfigure and it tried to start. Just low battery from a 1/2 hour of the headlight being on. After a few minutes it started. Sounded fine and no codes. Woo hoo.