Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ironhead won't start, no cranking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 05:19 AM
d3vil
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ironhead won't start, no cranking.

Hi there!

I have a 1983 Ironhead thats been sitting in my garage for tree years since last startup.

I now wanted to fire it up again.
First thing I did was to change all filters, replace old gas with new, oil change and I also changed the old carburetor for a new SS Super E.
Thing is that when I tried to fire it up, it sounded like the starter cranked just a bit before it went completely dead. No dimming in the headlights, nothing.
The battery is new and was fully charged before I tried this.

What could be wrong here? Are the pistons stuck after these three years or something?
Please enlighten me since I have no clue to this.

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:01 AM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

Here goes Bud --- you have a old bike as I do also have a 81 Ironhead and I have found out the hard way just like you will that GROUND is most likely the problem . What I did was to add 3 extra ground 4ga wires running from the battery to the engine and to the frame and 1 to a starter mounting bolt it also has a starter relay under the seat that Auto Zone carries. It sounds like you have lost your ground , with alum , chrome and paper , corrosion and rust you also need to clean as many elect connections that you can , I even ran a 14ga wire from 1 of the mounting bolts of the Ignition pickup to the battery. These old bikes are great but they just need a little extra care for the older they get , I also have a 1980 Tour Glide that has had the same thing done to it , stay with it and you will turn heads