Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 Ultra Classic...just shuts down while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 AM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 99 Ultra Classic...just shuts down while driving

this does NOT sound like a fuel issue at all. sounds electrical........

a bike will run with compression, gas and spark. (not always well, but it will run!)
you can literally put a gas soaked rag on the intake, and if it has compression and spark, it will run.

to cut out like that, and NOT even sputter while in gear coasting with the ignition on, has to be an ignition issue. period. check your plug wires, sometimes vibration and corrosion can cause it to cut out, a loose connection, etc. also the cmp, is a very likely cause, as well as the ckp. check all connections. (I'd bet on the cmp personally)

Old 09-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Losde757
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same difference happened, while in the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tube

Same difference happened to me while riding home from work yesterday. Just as I proceeded into the HRBT (tunnel), the radio (music) quit, but radio still had power. Then, the engine sputtered, blew out a few rings of black smoke from exhaust. Then, halfway thru the tunnel with no where to turn off...the radio and all electronics went black... the sputtering and puffs of black smoke became more consistent, but the engine never quit and barely had enough power to make the incline out of the tube. Once I was out... it began to run smoother, electronic came back, as well as power to the radio, but the radio switch/button would not enable the radio-music. Also, it was hot (high 90's) and 100% humidity that day. The tube environment was worse. Also, I did make a quick stop on the side of the road for a quick check...nothing obvious found. Started up, as usual with no problems and radio operated accordingly and made it home.

Never had a problem with this bike before hand.

Last things touch or done within past 2-weeks to 91' Electra Glide Ultra Classic w/ 34K mi.:
- pulled plug wires while parked over night on the street (as an extra theft protection effort)
- replaced ignition switch lock mechanism (it was broke)

I haven't begun to digging into the bike yet, I will be doing that tonight. and hopefully the info provided in this thread will lead the way to repair.

Troubleshooting checks list:
- Fuses
- instrument wire harness (maybe pinched or not proper connection, when replacing ignition switch/lock)
- spark plug wire for proper connection
- looking at solenoid (with regards to the heat factor)

Did I miss anything else?

Over.