Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 tune still legal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:26 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Stage 1 tune still legal?

My 2011 RGU is running way too lean. I bought it used and it came with Street Cannons and stock AC. I contacted a local HD dealer about having them download the stage 1 fuel map and the service writer told me they aren't allowed to do that anymore because of the EPA settlement. Is that true? If so, I'm not sure what my options are. My bike has 41k miles on it and still runs great. The top end is nice and quiet and it doesn't use any oil to speak of. I'd love to keep it that way but am worried about it running so lean. I replaced the plugs 1500 miles ago and they're already turning white.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:48 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

Plenty of options available.

You can send you ECM into some place like Fuel Moto and have them flash a new tune to it.

You can buy a tuner and flash it yourself.

You could get it dyno'ed and have a custom tune made/flashed.

You could tune it yourself with a Powervision or similar tuner.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I was under the impression ( someone who knows can chime in ) that all dealer downloads were EPA compliant. Having said that I wouldn't waste my money on the download. Step up and get a Power Vision and you'll be able to achieve what you're wanting to do ... AND ... will be able to make changes in the future if the need arises

Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I was under the impression ( someone who knows can chime in ) that all dealer downloads were EPA compliant. Having said that I wouldn't waste my money on the download. Step up and get a Power Vision and you'll be able to achieve what you're wanting to do ... AND ... will be able to make changes in the future if the need arises

Besides the fact the bike will still be running lean, the download is a canned map, so it leaves no room for adjustments.
Forget the dealer. Get a real tuner.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There are basically two options: revise your tune to be EPA compliant, which may not be possible with those components; revise your tune to be optimum, meaning it won't be EPA compliant.

The MoCo has been severely rapped across the knuckles for making and selling EPA compliant vehicles, then selling a wide range of parts expressly designed to modify those vehicles away from EPA. That doesn't come as a surprise to some of us, no matter how much we like to modify our bikes!

Old 12-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Get the FP3 and be done with it. Lots of options with this tuner if you make changes later.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
My 2011 RGU is running way too lean. I bought it used and it came with Street Cannons and stock AC. I contacted a local HD dealer about having them download the stage 1 fuel map and the service writer told me they aren't allowed to do that anymore because of the EPA settlement. Is that true? If so, I'm not sure what my options are. My bike has 41k miles on it and still runs great. The top end is nice and quiet and it doesn't use any oil to speak of. I'd love to keep it that way but am worried about it running so lean. I replaced the plugs 1500 miles ago and they're already turning white.

To get a EPA legal tune from HD now you have to buy the new Street tuner and install it. It's the same as before except they no longer allow DT to do it. If you want to get it tuned then there is plenty of options out today, TTS, PV, FP ect.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:03 AM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
How do you know you're lean? Heat? Popping from exhaust on accel/decel? If you go the tuner route be forewarned, it's a slippery slope that will become an obsession. At least it has for most of us. My suggestion, settle on your mods, take the bike to a reputable dyno tuner, pay the $500 and keep your sanity. I bought a tuner and paid for a dyno.....still looking for the Holy Grail tune!

Last edited by petejoe43; 05-07-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 AM
bmill
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure stage 1 is still good...

Old 05-11-2017, 08:36 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I just installed these on my bike...picked them up used for $50....a lot of people swear by them a few rip them...you won't get anywhere near the results of a true tuner an proper tune but they send a signal to the ecm to add fuel...my guess is they trick the computer to go into the max fuel mode...over views say they add 8% fuel an help compensate for slip ons, hi flo air cleaners an to fix the factory lean condition...they're pretty cheap, there are other versions than the ones here an you can try them for a while until you're ready for a tuner...I'm going to run them until I'm ready to cam my bike an need a tuner.

http://sales.nightrider.com/fl-vied-10.html

Quick Reply: Stage 1 tune still legal?