Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Tuning Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:15 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Ok, now you've got my attention.

I've attempted to wade through thousands of Andy's scatter plots and other MegaLogViewer charts, trying to get my head around them. I'm beginning to understand the power behind that data.

On the other hand, I never really spent a lot of time on it because it was my understanding that MLV wouldn't work with data logs from a SEPST. I emailed the company a year or so ago and they confirmed it, you can't work with a SEPST without jumping through some serious hoops.

But your post said MegaLogViewerHD. Is this something new for H-D, or is that "high definition"?
Ya... There are different versions of MegaLogViewer...
  • MegaLogViewer HD
  • MegaLogViewer MS
  • MegaLogViewer BigStuff3

MegaLogViewer HD is described as "General Purpose supporting the most file types."

Funny you mention Andy's scatter plots etc. I was just having a conversation with him the other day about them. He likes those Duty Cycle vs. MAP x RPM plots:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post15735077

I never found those to be intuitive. I was probing Andy for more insight on those but so far he hasn't returned.

The plots I mentioned here...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post15736874

Are the ones I usually look at for what I'm doing. Them seem straight forward enough.

Last edited by T^2; 12-10-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:17 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

So will MLV work with a SE Pro Super Tuner? Or am I restricted to PV or TTS?

Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
So will MLV work with a SE Pro Super Tuner? Or am I restricted to PV or TTS?
EFI Analytics list log file compatibility on their website. Here is the link for the HD version:

http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php...egalogviewerhd

I didn't see SEPST listed anywhere.

Last edited by T^2; 12-10-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:37 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
EFI Analytics list log file compatibility on their website. Here is the link for the HD version:

http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php...egalogviewerhd

I didn't see SEPST listed anywhere.
That's what it was two years ago. Had my hopes up, but...

Oh, well. No harm, really. I have the SEPST for my 15 RGS, and if I buy an...ohh...I dunno, '18 or '19 M8, it will be a PV, so I'm covered.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Revised Tune Report...
Jamie at Fuel Moto provided a couple different tunes to try, saying to start with "#1"

Big improvement over the baseline map sent with the unit.
Very easy starting, the low speed/light throttle miss is still there, but can really only be heard through the pipes and not felt. Maybe a few rounds of Sea Foam will clear it up.
Initial impressions on things that need to be adjusted, but not a matter of immediate concern, is the cold start fueling. It's really really fat. I can smell unburnt fuel for several seconds after starting. It also seems to have an adverse effect on fuel economy. I'll mess with that over time.
Just running down the road in 50° outside temps, it averaged 41mpg over the space of a 30 minute ride, and head temp was right at about 215.
I'd guess that on a longer trip, the fuel mileage should be in the 42-44mpg range, and my own estimation on head temp should be around 250 during the spring and summer months.

So, I'm pretty happy. Jamie was very helpful even though I let my frustration show through. I did end up having to get a windows laptop, but I got it for nothing. It's just a bit of a pain to use because it has the "Rookie Interface" (I don't know what it's really called, it just makes it difficult to navigate through windows.) I'll study up on this stuff so I can make basic changes. I'm not looking to really the in depth details of EFI.

Anyway, we're good to go! Thanks for all the advice guys!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

One thing to note, Sounds like you are letting the PV determine the mileage. It may not be correct.. Have you verified with the odometer and fill-ups? If not you need to.. Not saying you won't get 41 MPG tho..

Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, I'm gonna do that. Now that I'm close to being done dinkin' around with it, and once a good hole in the weather opens up, I'll take 'er to stretch her legs. All I've had are short trips that barely gets it warmed up. It used to get 45-48 on the open road with the stock cams.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:24 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Revised Tune Report...
Jamie at Fuel Moto provided a couple different tunes to try, saying to start with "#1"

Big improvement over the baseline map sent with the unit.
Very easy starting, the low speed/light throttle miss is still there, but can really only be heard through the pipes and not felt. Maybe a few rounds of Sea Foam will clear it up.
Initial impressions on things that need to be adjusted, but not a matter of immediate concern, is the cold start fueling. It's really really fat. I can smell unburnt fuel for several seconds after starting. It also seems to have an adverse effect on fuel economy. I'll mess with that over time.
Just running down the road in 50° outside temps, it averaged 41mpg over the space of a 30 minute ride, and head temp was right at about 215.
I'd guess that on a longer trip, the fuel mileage should be in the 42-44mpg range, and my own estimation on head temp should be around 250 during the spring and summer months.

So, I'm pretty happy. Jamie was very helpful even though I let my frustration show through. I did end up having to get a windows laptop, but I got it for nothing. It's just a bit of a pain to use because it has the "Rookie Interface" (I don't know what it's really called, it just makes it difficult to navigate through windows.) I'll study up on this stuff so I can make basic changes. I'm not looking to really the in depth details of EFI.

Anyway, we're good to go! Thanks for all the advice guys!

Thank you for the update, if you need any additional assistance with your tune or any technical support you are welcome to contact us. Also note if you are having windows computer issues we are also able to take control remotely if necessary; all channels are open.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

I appreciate the service Jamie. I'm very glad I bought the unit through your company.

I have a couple of questions as I'm trying to learn the basics.
I noticed that comparing the two maps you sent that the differences are only in the VE tables. Is that where basic fueling changes are made? Adjusting for "air in" rather than "fuel out?"

Also, in the warm-up tables....Is the value listed a number of points below AFR? Or when it gives a value of "2.7" ...is that 2.7 points subtracted from, for example 14.5 to give and AFR of 11.8? I'm getting a strong smell of unburnt fuel upon start-up. I'm thinkin' I'd like to try reducing that extra fuel a little. Although it does start easier than it ever has, so maybe I should leave well enough alone.

On Windows computers....
What a complete and total "FUBAR" of the operating system they've done in recent years. It's like it's built for children to prevent them from doing anything useful. The last Windows machine I had ran Windows 2000 Professional. An easy to use and navigate system that in itself was reliable. Not so for the componentry however.