Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

I miss my old carb'd bikes! Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:41 PM
ironrhino
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I miss my old carb'd bikes! Help Please!

My original thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...-and-dies.html

Long story short, I have a 2001 Softail Deuce Fuel Injected bike. The PO has a RevTech DFO that is installed after the ECU.

This thing will not idle at a steady RPM for **** and coughs through breather like it's got emphysema.

Until my tuner arrives, I bought a 4 pin to OBDII adapter and downloaded HarleyDroid to read the error codes.

Here is what I am getting:
P0505: Loss of Idle Speed Control
P0122: TP Sensor Open/Low
P0261: Front Injector Open/Low
P0263: Rear Injector Open/Low

A couple of things.

I have replaced the TP Sensor, but I ran the bike with the TP Sensor unplugged and I suspect that is when that code was thrown.

I cleaned the original Idle Air COntrol valve by removing it and cleaning it with Carb cleaner. I have been told I should have used MAF Sensor cleaner. This is still the original part.

Injectors. I can only imagine that the DFO is screwing this up. Either that or the injectors have taken a righteous dump or are leaking (I would assume I would smell gas)

Anyways, would it be safe to assume I may also have the dreaded pin hole leak that would throw the injector codes? I am hoping the answer is yes because I have ordered all the parts to replace those pieces.

Thanks for your help and have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:38 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ironrhino
My original thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...-and-dies.html

Long story short, I have a 2001 Softail Deuce Fuel Injected bike. The PO has a RevTech DFO that is installed after the ECU.

This thing will not idle at a steady RPM for **** and coughs through breather like it's got emphysema.

Until my tuner arrives, I bought a 4 pin to OBDII adapter and downloaded HarleyDroid to read the error codes.

Here is what I am getting:
P0505: Loss of Idle Speed Control
P0122: TP Sensor Open/Low
P0261: Front Injector Open/Low
P0263: Rear Injector Open/Low

A couple of things.

I have replaced the TP Sensor, but I ran the bike with the TP Sensor unplugged and I suspect that is when that code was thrown.

I cleaned the original Idle Air COntrol valve by removing it and cleaning it with Carb cleaner. I have been told I should have used MAF Sensor cleaner. This is still the original part.

Injectors. I can only imagine that the DFO is screwing this up. Either that or the injectors have taken a righteous dump or are leaking (I would assume I would smell gas)

Anyways, would it be safe to assume I may also have the dreaded pin hole leak that would throw the injector codes? I am hoping the answer is yes because I have ordered all the parts to replace those pieces.

Thanks for your help and have a Merry Christmas!
You should also check for a broken wire to one of the fuel injectors. Overly tight tie wraps have been known to cause the leads to break and cause problems. Check by wiggling the wires while running or with a DVM as they can break inside the insulation and be difficult to find.

The following users liked this post:
ironrhino (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 08:27 AM
ironrhino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nhrider1
You should also check for a broken wire to one of the fuel injectors. Overly tight tie wraps have been known to cause the leads to break and cause problems. Check by wiggling the wires while running or with a DVM as they can break inside the insulation and be difficult to find.
I will check that out as soon as I remove the tank. I just bought a quick disconnect for the crossover fuel line to make that process easy going forward.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,441 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Sneezing on injected softails is commonly lack of fuel pressure. (pinhole)

ironrhino (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Just convert it to a carb and be done with it....It's not very difficult.

ironrhino (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:35 AM
ironrhino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Sneezing on injected softails is commonly lack of fuel pressure. (pinhole)
Thank you, we will see. I have learned not to assume with this bike LOL. You think that would throw the Injector trouble codes?

Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 AM
ironrhino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Just convert it to a carb and be done with it....It's not very difficult.
I have all the crap coming to replace the in-tank fuel injection stuff. If that doesn't work, I may consider doing just that.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:02 PM
ironrhino
Intermediate

Quick update and if anyone wants to correct me, please do.

If you Google pin hole leak for Harley or search on YoutTube you will be met with a lot of helpful videos showing how to fix it. It doesn't necessarily show what it looks like. I am pretty certain I have non-consistent fuel pressure because of this, therefore causing the bike to idle erratically and overcompensate by trying to dump more gas causing it to run rich and not stay running.

Tonight I took the tank off to remove the DFO and check the injector wires. Got that done and put a quick disconnect on the crossover fuel line.

Put the tank back on and put about 20 oz. of gas in just to get it running. I decided to look into the filler hole and guess what, pump ran and sprayed gas all over the inside of the tank.

Here is the quick video of it happening:

So with that being said, I think I found the culprit and should have gone with that from day 1. Now I wait for the parts to come in.

FattyMcJ (12-21-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 07:45 PM
ironrhino
Intermediate

Also a quick thank you to those that had the answer for me or at the very least pointed me in the right direction.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you tried to start it with the dfo removed?

Quick Reply: I miss my old carb'd bikes! Help Please!