Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Borrowing a SE Tuner...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 04:22 PM
jt_lipka
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borrowing a SE Tuner...

I know I could probably search for hours and find the answer to this question...

I'm looking to buy a SE Intake for my 09 FXDC, and it just so happens that my dad has a SE Tuner (orange one) that he got when he bought his 07 Street Glide(103" and SE Package). It's been in the box since hes gotten the bike, the dealer just told him to hold onto it in case it ever needed work done. I don't think he has the cables for it or any software, but according to the sticker on the box it says it will work for 02+ Dyna's? I can't remember exactly but I know it covered my year and model. I guess my question is, if he were to let me borrow the tuner, could I get the cables from somewhere (if someone could point me in the right direction on that as well) and tune my bike without messing his stuff up? Or is it "married" to his bike or has his tune saved to it and me messing with it would erase it?

Thanks in advance,

JT

Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 PM
jackafrica
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It is (probably) married to your dads bike.
Definitely if your dads bike has a Stage1 kit or similar.

Last edited by jackafrica; 12-28-2016 at 01:25 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-27-2016, 06:09 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I'm not sure what this part means:

Originally Posted by jt_lipka
...It's been in the box since hes gotten the bike, the dealer just told him to hold onto it in case it ever needed work done. I don't think he has the cables for it or any software...

Thanks in advance,

JT
Did your dad ever use it? If your dad never connected it to his bike, or any other bike, then you can use it. But, if he did use it to tune his bike, than that's it. It can never be used with any other bike.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 AM
jt_lipka
Novice

He does at least have a Stage 1 kit on it, he bought the bike used. The tuner came with the bike, but it was in the original box, not hooked up or anything but had "Jim's 07 Street Glide" wrote on the tuner and box. But didn't have any cables with it. Sucks I can't use it, I guess there isn't a way to wipe the memory and start from scratch with it is there?

Old 12-28-2016, 12:36 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by jt_lipka
He does at least have a Stage 1 kit on it, he bought the bike used. The tuner came with the bike, but it was in the original box, not hooked up or anything but had "Jim's 07 Street Glide" wrote on the tuner and box. But didn't have any cables with it. Sucks I can't use it, I guess there isn't a way to wipe the memory and start from scratch with it is there?
Nope. If the box the Tuner came in has been opened, it's probably been used to tune your dad's bike. You have to buy the cables to go along with the Tuner. There is no real way to erase the memory although some people on the Internet swear that they know a dude who can do it for a fee.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:40 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Yeah, rumors are that it not only can be done but is being done. I have no first hand experience and those that do will not give info on public forums. Be easier and you'd be better off just getting your own interface. It would be locked to your bike after you used it anyway and your dad would be out of luck.

Last edited by qtrracer; 12-28-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM
jt_lipka
Novice

After keeping an eye out on eBay, I decided to buy a Power Commander V for my Dyna. Got a used one for $112 shipped. It should arrive today, just got to play with some tunes to see whats best. Thanks for the info everyone.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Are the PC Vs or PC3s not married to the bike? I don't know, just asking.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:16 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Mike,
They're both add-on devices that modify fueling and timing instructions sent out to the engine. These devices stand in the middle of the system.
I do not recommend them for bikes that have o2 sensors since there are much better tuning solutions than add-on boxes that can only slow down the reaction stream from the ECM to the engine.
They do not marry themselves to the ECM so can be used on other bikes...just not at the same time.
Bob

Old 01-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Thanks Bob.
I had a PC3 on my bike when I bought it, and after doing a bit of motor work, I took it off and bought a PowerVision set-up. I was wondering if the PC3 was sell-able.

Quick Reply: Borrowing a SE Tuner...