Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1999 Road King Classic EFI - Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:00 PM
JLPRES
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Road King Classic EFI - Won't start

Hi to all,

I have a 1999 Road King Classic EFI with a Power Commander III Usb. I went out and started the bike one morning to let it warm up before a toy run. It stopped idling and when i went to restart the battery wasn't strong enough to turn the engine(it was on a trickle charge overnight). In a hurry to get to the toy run I hooked up my charger on fast charge and tried again a few minutes later but still not enough. I noticed smoke coming off the + connection on the battery so I stopped and cleaned all the connections. Still not starting. I bought a new battery(too late for the toy run by now) and the engine turns fine but no starting. I checked the ignition fuse which was ok, I did notice the Power commander had no lights on it but I wasn't sure it did unless the bike was running. But no lights even with the switch on.
I checked for spark at the plugs and there is no spark.
I got a service manual 99483-99 but it seems to be for the carburetor bikes.
Mine has the Magneti Marelli.
I believe I may have smoked the Magneti Marelli MCM, any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 01-02-2017, 11:43 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

First things first. Check for trouble codes. Google can help if you don't know how. Second, take the PCIII out of line and try to start it while the ECM is connected to the harness. If it starts, the PCIII is probably toast. If it does not start check both ends of the battery cables. Sometimes they will get corroded beneath the insulation. Make sure you have a good ground.