The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: New Harley Auto tune module now available

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Harley Convert
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the instruction sheet that comes with the tuner.

The following users liked this post:
Sierra977 (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Convert
Here's the instruction sheet that comes with the tuner.
That is the Mounting Instructions and tells me just what I need to do to mount ATM on the 2014 SGS.

Got a link to Operating Instructions?

Last edited by Sierra977; 01-21-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 PM
Harley Convert
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
That is the Mounting Instructions and tells me just what I need to do to mount ATM on the 2014 SGS.

Got a link to Operating Instructions?
Not much info on how to use it. The installation instructions say you basically just choose Wideband O2 sensors in the software for the Street tuner and you're good to go.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:32 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Somewhere along about here the hacker in me starts to get itchy

Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

WARNING: This screed may get long…

My interest in the Automatic Tuner Module ATM is, I hope, the ability to control AFR over the ENTIRE rpm range with positive feedback loop.

My understanding of the SE Pro Super Tuner is that it uses narrow-band O2 sensors to control AFR in the part of the AFR Table that is stoich (ie. 14.7). Lambda tables have their own values. Our EFI engines to this point have been equipped with narrow-band O2 sensors. The narrow-band O2 sensors read the exhaust gas and signal the ECM to adjust the amount of fuel injected in the next cycle by altering the pulse-width of the injectors.

Again, this happens ONLY in the part of the AFR Table that is designated stoich. (ie. the RED areas)

ALL THE REST of the AFR Table (ie. non-stoich) have an AFR value that is APPLIED but NOT CONTROLLED. Whatever value is in a particular cell “instructs” the ECM to deliver a certain amount of fuel that is determined by the appropriate pulse-width of the injector. This pulse-width value is set by the value in a particular AFR Table cell but is not sensed and corrected in real time, it simply is what it is.

I want the ability to CONTROL the AFR over the ENTIRE TABLE, not just the stoich (ie. red) area. I want this control in real time, not just to a preset number, but to what the engine is actually seeing at that moment in time.

It appears the ATM may allow this level of mixture control.

The Harley-Davidson engine design uses asymmetric timing. Just the way the design works. This asymmetry is a large part of why the front and rear cylinders run differently.

An example is fuel pressure in the “fuel rail”. Fuel pressure is not constant over the entire 720 degree cycle. The two firing pulses are not evenly spaced, valve operations are not evenly spaced and injection of fuel is not evenly spaced. My experience is fuel pressure is different at the times each cylinder has fuel injected into its mixture. There is a lag time in the pressure curve. This is one of the many reasons the Pro Super Tuner has tables for each cylinder. An injector seeing lower pressure in the fuel rail needs wider pulse-width to deliver the same amount of fuel than an injector seeing higher pressure in the rail.

I want the ECM in my motor to sense the mixture for each cylinder and adjust the injector pulse width for that cylinder over the ENTIRE rpm range. It does that by reading the output from wide-band O2 sensors (whereas narrow-band O2 sensors function only over a relatively small portion of the rpm range/AFR table).

Moving on…

The new Automatic Tuning Module ATM has wide-band O2 sensors as part of the assembly. It also has a separate module that does SOMETHING and provides an output signal to the engine’s ECM that in turn regulates the amount of fuel going to the engine.

I really want to know what that SOMETHING is and if it can be used with the Pro Super Tuner.

Yes, the MoCo is operating under some kind of agreement with the EPA. And yes, the Pro Street Tuner is an EPA-compliant device.

I want to know if the ATM can be used with the Pro Super Tuner similarly to the way it is used with the Pro Street Tuner. Yes the EPA-compliant Pro Street Tuner is what it is and it’s NOT the Pro Super Tuner. Yet the two devices are similar enough I am led to wonder whether an ATM can be plugged into a Pro Super Tuner the same way it plugs into a Pro Street Tuner and give me real-time mixture control over the entire AFR table.

Software for the two devices (Pro Super Tuner and Pro Street Tuner) may be different, may be the same, I don’t know. But I will find out. There is the possibility that if the Pro Street Tuner differs from Pro Super Tuner in ways that allow ATM to function with both then the ATM may allow the real-time control of fuel mixture I desire.

The ATM may have hardware that prevents it being used with Pro Super Tuner. Current software may prevent ATM being used with Pro Super Tuner. That is one reason I started collecting HD tuner software versions for future use. I have all versions going back to the one on CD ROM 32111-11. Or it may take a software tweak.

Gonna take plugging an ATM into a Pro Super Tuner and some testing. I don’t have a dyno for testing but there are smart guys who do.

The following users liked this post:
Lauri911 (07-07-2019)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:53 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Reading the product description, it states the Automatic Tuner functions with the Pro Street Tuner.

It does NOT say Automatic Tuner will not work with Pro Super Tuner..
Nope and nope.

It says the new module requires the Pro Street Tuner.

"Requires" means it won't work the the Pro Super Tuner or else they're lying.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Nope and nope.

It says the new module requires the Pro Street Tuner.

"Requires" means it won't work the the Pro Super Tuner or else they're lying.
No it does NOT say the ATM will work only with Pro Street Tuner. It only says it requires the Pro Street Tuner. It DOES NOT say it requires ONLY the Pro Street Tuner.

It can "require" any tuning module that functions with it as well.

ETA My interpretation is the ATM will NOT function as a stand-alone module but "requires" a tuning module, ie. a VCI, for it to function.

The ATM is a part that stays attached to the motorcycle whereas the Pro Street Tuner VCI, like the Pro Super Tuner VCI, is only temporarily attached to the motorcycle. The ECM stays attached to the motorcycle as well and functions in concert with the ATM. The ATM serves to enhance functionality of the ECM, ie. better control AFR.

I see it nowhere stated the ATM is limited to functioning with the Pro Street Tuner VCI.

Last edited by Sierra977; 01-22-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Uuhhmmmm...that is exactly what the word "requires" means: It means it requires it because it won't work with anything else.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Uuhhmmmm...that is exactly what the word "requires" means: It means it requires it because it won't work with anything else.
Nope, nope, nope

It simply states the ATM requires a separate module to function.

NOWHERE does it state it ONLY functions with Pro Street Tuner.

You are obviously consumed with semantics not functionality.

Happy trails sweetie

Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Hey, I honestly hope I'm wrong. I have a Pro Super Tuner, and I don't want to spend the money for a Power Vision if I don't have to.

Quick Reply: HARLEY: New Harley Auto tune module now available